**SOLVED**Can not install TA3D, constant errors!

You have a problem with TA3D, it doesn't run or it crashes...
/
Vous avez un problème avec TA3D, il ne se lance pas ou plante...
Andikiwi

**SOLVED**Can not install TA3D, constant errors!

Post by Andikiwi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:57 am

Hi,
Im having a huge issue, I have downloaded the latest version of TA3D. when I go to install I click the prompts until I get to the install part and click install. As soon as i do i get error message:

"Error opening file or writting"
C:\Program files\TA3D\3dmeditor.ico
Click abort, retry or Ignore.

If i click ignore they just keep coming with different files with the same error.

I am running 32bit windows 7

thanks. hopefully someone can help
Last edited by Andikiwi on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Can not install TA3D, constant errors!

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi,

I guess you tried to install the last stable package (0.5.4). At the time I released it, I tested everything on windows XP so I guess the issue is specific to windows 7. I think it's probably related to admin rights being required to write things in C:\Program files\ and the installer don't ask for them (it wasn't needed in XP). Try to install TA3D somewhere else (like your Documents folder, something you have write access to). If you still want to install it in C:\Program files\ you can try to run the installer with admin privileges (I am not sure it would fix it but it may be worth trying).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Andikiwi

Post by Andikiwi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Mate,

Your a pro! I relocated the install to my desktop and it worked fine, no errors. :D

Thanks alot
Andikiwi

InsaneMurdock

New Problem

Post by InsaneMurdock » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey, I recently rediscoverd my TA disc at home. I installed it, then found out about TA3D. I downloaded the newest version(5.4) and installed it in a separate folder than my TA files are stored(C:\CAVEDOG\TOTALA). I tried to run the program, but it said it needed .ufo/.hpi/(i dont remember this one) files. So then i moved all the TA3D files to my normal TA folder. It then ran normaly, i was able to start a skirmish. then it had a loading bar and when that finally loaded all the way, an error message popped up and said i should contact you. So, here i am. I am running a Dell with Windows Seven Home Premium. I have program files, and program filesx86(does that mean its 32-bit?). Please get back to me. Thanks.

P.s. if its not to much trouble, i have a suggestion. Put up some installation instructions for computer dummies like me :P

zuzuf

Re: **SOLVED**Can not install TA3D, constant errors!

Post by zuzuf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi,

it's not recommended to copy TA3D's files to OTA's install folder. There should be an install.bat script which can install OTA's archives for you (from the CDs). Before starting TA3D again make sure the ta3d/cache folder is empty (just to avoid problems).
You may be interested in current development branch (TA3D 0.6) which is in beta stage. I managed to run TA3D 0.6 on windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bits) inside a virtual machine so it should be safe to consider it's compatible with windows 7 :wink: . Also the 0.5 and 0.6 branches are not based on the same external libraries so if one doesn't run it doesn't mean the other won't run either.

You can find beta packages here:
ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/windows/dev/0.6/
beware that some of them are built in debug mode (which means performance won't be optimal).
InsaneMurdock wrote:I have program files, and program filesx86(does that mean its 32-bit?)
Yes, it does.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

InsaneMurdock

Post by InsaneMurdock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm

zuzuf wrote:Hi,

it's not recommended to copy TA3D's files to OTA's install folder. There should be an install.bat script which can install OTA's archives for you (from the CDs). Before starting TA3D again make sure the ta3d/cache folder is empty (just to avoid problems).
You may be interested in current development branch (TA3D 0.6) which is in beta stage. I managed to run TA3D 0.6 on windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bits) inside a virtual machine so it should be safe to consider it's compatible with windows 7 :wink: . Also the 0.5 and 0.6 branches are not based on the same external libraries so if one doesn't run it doesn't mean the other won't run either.

You can find beta packages here:
ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/windows/dev/0.6/
beware that some of them are built in debug mode (which means performance won't be optimal).
InsaneMurdock wrote:I have program files, and program filesx86(does that mean its 32-bit?)
Yes, it does.
Okay, I will try that, thanks for replying :D

InsaneMurdock

Post by InsaneMurdock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:18 am

okay, so i cant find the install.bat file, and when i try to download any of the betas, they dont show up on my computer.
I know they are there though, because if i download one, and try downloading another one(the little box pops up asking where you want to save the file) the downloaded one shows up in the location i saved it. But then as soon as i go to that location it disapears.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:59 am

Try to refresh folder content in your file browser (F5).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

InsaneMurdock

Post by InsaneMurdock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:41 pm

I got it to work using the 5.4 version. It looks really good, but sometimes it crashes. So i lowered the resolution of the water, hopefully that works. Thanks for all the work you guys put into this game. Its good to know someone besides me still plays this game :P

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 pm

www.tauniverse.com has the biggest community for TA should you want more people who play the game.

InsaneMurdock

Post by InsaneMurdock » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm

...And, it doesn't work. It now says that "my system isn't not supported", then something like"please go to our forums" :?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

The "not supported" part of the message refers to stack-trace dump which worked only on Linux in 0.5 branch.

I am working on fixing bugs so I'll probably build new packages soon (last beta has a very annoying bug on windows).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

InsaneMurdock

Post by InsaneMurdock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

hey, I'm just gonna post at the TA universe forum for help.

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

See you there. :P

PACB

Post by PACB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:39 pm

I had the same problem as the thread creator (Windows 7 64 Bit) and moving it to desktop made it work :D Thanks so much. Although I don't understand the part about no permissions...I am the sole owner of this computer and have every privilege...why doesn't it work in the C:// directory?

zuzuf wrote:Hi,

I guess you tried to install the last stable package (0.5.4). At the time I released it, I tested everything on windows XP so I guess the issue is specific to windows 7. I think it's probably related to admin rights being required to write things in C:\Program files\ and the installer don't ask for them (it wasn't needed in XP). Try to install TA3D somewhere else (like your Documents folder, something you have write access to). If you still want to install it in C:\Program files\ you can try to run the installer with admin privileges (I am not sure it would fix it but it may be worth trying).