My lil' units

recreating units
Durand

My lil' units

Post by Durand » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:06 pm

On what i work actually

Unzip the file in your TA3D/resources/mods directory. Mods name : "Lemur Annihilation".

Units with living model.
The Bos and Fdi files are based on the TA or SpringBA ones. The "dead" models are, for the moment, the one of the unit mine is based on.
There is three laser textures, but for some reason i can't make the game use them correctly.
Units have no textures, because i know nothing on textures (and the game don't use the colors i add directly in my modeller).
Some units have more joins than the script use (particularly the factories : Lot of things CAN move if you change the scripts).
Factories don't seem to send nano blobs. I don't understand how that work. But they still build the units.

Balancing is based on BA (more balanced than TA).
I tried to give more "standards" bodies for units of the same class AND let the player differenciating the units easilly. Maybe it the old Warzone2100 player at work, here... Bodies are still different, but only lightly. Sorry if you don't like.

For the moment, weapons don't have angles limitations, making the units more powerfull that they have to be (don't even think to attack the Hydre with land units...).

Units :

ARM :

- LLT replacement.
- HLT replacement.
- Defender replacement (can't hope to stop a rush with Defenders alone anymore, by the way : It's a softener weapon, now)
- T1 mexe replacement.
- Belette : Replace the Hammer (Don't have to open the guns anymore).
- Crotale : Replace the Rocko.
- Rat : Peewee replacement.
- Scout : Skeeter replacement. My first try at boat. I'm not sure of the look of this one (the two guns are independants, making it far more dangerous, by the way).
- Nano tower : Can't make it work :-( There is probably a reason, but the tower don't want to help, repair, or even build.
- Kbot lab replacement (the model has more joins than the script use).
- Advanced kbot lab replacement (idem).
- Gantry replacement (idem).
- Flash : Try at Flash replacement. More bulky, like the infantry support vehicles, you see ?.
- Flash-AA : Basically, a Flash with a quad gun. The units has two weapons : One against ground, one against air (same damages, less range). The two use the same gun. For some reason only the weapon 2 (against ground) is used...
- Mangouste : Basically, a Stumpy with less armor, but a anti-ground missile launcher. More or less a try to make a Srping BA "Janus" not overpowered).
- Stumpy. Replacement for the... Stumpy, yes. You are good.
- Flak : Replacement for the T2 Flak. More powerfull. Like the Flash-AA, use the same gun for it's two weapons (one AA cannon with big range, one anti-ground canon with less range), and i can't make it use the two weapons.
- Mygale : Replacement for the Mygale. The new mygale has eight legs but still use the 3-legged mygale script. The result is, funnily enough, horrifying). The new mygale is more dangerous than the old, i think.
- Tarentule : I want to make a full array of spider T2 tank (less powerfull than T2 tanks for the price, but can climb). This one use a vulcan gun.
- Bulldog replacement.
- Leopard : The Mangouste big brother. basically, a Bulldog with a anti-ground missile-launcher (more or less my idea of the BA Banisher, but for ARM).
- Hydre. Land battleship with a 2x3 cannon battery (1500 range, 300 damage, 0.3 ROF, 100 AOE. each battery) and two rapid vulcan guns for point-defense. Basically, my idea of the ubiquitous "SC FatBoy" whe see in in a lot of TA mods. It's a T3 unit, build by the gantry (because i have to build a T3 vehicle plant), with tremendous firepower (and overpowered because the lack of angle limitation of the weapons for now), but very few Life points (10000). A support unit only. As the script is a mix between the ARM battleship and the Bulldog, an Hydre with all it's weapons firing look like it's near exploding...

Core (just started two days ago) :

- AK replacement.
- Dominator replacement.
Attachments
Lemur Annihilation.zip
(596.35 KiB) Downloaded 1237 times
Last edited by Durand on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durand

Re: My lil' units

Post by Durand » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 pm

=> I forgot : For some reason, the ARM T1 builder vehicle refuse to build the T2 vehicle plant :-( (you can see the black in the build mene, at the last page, where the T2 vehicle plant buildpiv is supposed to be. Strangely enough, if i put the same t2 vehicle plant in another builder (like the T2 kbot), the buildpic show and i can build the plant :shock: ).
Attachments
ta3d-shoot000001.gif
Some of the units

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:32 am

AAAWESOMNESS!!!

P.S. You`ve got the land texture crippled - turn off "texture compression" option.

Durand

Post by Durand » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Actually, i think this has something to do with shadows. When i play with the shadows options in the TA3D config stuff, i have random crash.
When i say "random", i mean the game can crash or not when i change the config.

Here an example with the last unit, the Millenium replacement (the "Peau Bleue"). T2 pocket battleship. Far more powerfull than the millenium (same main weapon than the Hydre, with 30k life points).
Attachments
ta3d-shoot000000.gif

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:16 pm

There is something strange with the shadows. It looks like the shadow maps suffer some compression artifacts (but shadow maps cannot be compressed, they're just depth texture objects) so there is probably a problem with it that may be able to crash the game. Which shadow quality level have you set ?

You can add textures by adding the MTL file in the objects3d/ (looks like you already did this) and the textures in textures/.

Nanolathing parts of models should be given by a script (QueryNanoPiece) which should return a list of pieces. Each time it is called it returns one piece and it should loop so if you have 2 pieces and it's called 3 times you should get something like: nano0, nano1, nano0. (NB: COB scripts should return the value in their parameters and Lua scripts should just return the value).

I like all those little details you've put in your models 8)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Durand

Post by Durand » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:01 pm

For adding textures : Don't textures added directly by the modeller are not too bigger ?

For the shadows : 3, with a shadow map of 3.
But if i put the shadow at 0, i don't have the strange shadows, but the textures of the new pack are all blackened (and, for some reason, the Ranger lost it's textures), like that :
Attachments
ta3d-shoot000005.gif

Durand

Post by Durand » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm

The Core Warlord replacement (also called Warlord). Maybe a little too powerfull, as the ARM Hydre and Peau Bleue/Millenium. The gun is a little more powerfull and long ranged, when the laser is less ranged, but do 10k damages each second (and ruin your Energy eco). Bah, i rebuild the balance later :D
Attachments
ta3d-shoot000001.gif

Durand

Post by Durand » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:26 pm

The Core Lv3 warship Poseidon. A bombardment ship with long range missiles (same as the diplomat, but 3000 range), two heavy canon turrets (same as the Warlord), one heavy laser (Warlord again) and 8 anti-AA/ships.

The ship has some problems i have hard time to resolve because i'm not good in scripting. Biggest is it aim at the same target with all it's weapons (don't even defend itself with it's short range guns when attacking a far away target with it's missiles :cry: ).
Attachments
ta3d-shoot000021.gif

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Durand - i like the big one )

Durand

Post by Durand » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 pm

I assure you like it a little less when you discover an AI just build one...

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 am

How many different weapons it will have?

Durand

Post by Durand » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Differents types : 4.
Different weapons : 5 (all the AA guns are one weapon, as all the V-missiles launchers).

I think to put the AA guns in two differents groups (one for each side), and maybe replace them or add to them some AA missiles launchers (it's a Core ship, after all).

I have also to make the V-missiles scatter, and put some mobile cap on their launchers.

Mh... Reducing the rate of fire of the main guns too, maybe : I just realized it's a buffed Peau bleue/Millenium one, wich is the same than the Hydre, a buffed Bulldog gun (more firepower/range/AoE, less RoF), but suddenly i see i forgot to take to account the Bulldog have two guns, then the stats in the Weapons files give him a doubled RoF for reflect that...
The bigs battlefhips guns looked too powerfull, now i understand why :D

DOT

Post by DOT » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 am

Thats pretty impressive

But some of the Units got oversized Turrets :S

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Don't say "some units got oversized turrets". Say "They have biggers than you" ! :mrgreen:

Sorry :oops:

What units ?

DOT

Post by DOT » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:41 am

oh sorry for my late post

The Core warlod ship tbh the gun is way to large! Just for being a little ship

oh and feel free to make the turrets look a bit different then the originals one imo some of them sucks like the Gaat gun model

Durand

Post by Durand » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Yes, that's true. Maybe by making the ship longer... I will try.

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:11 am

The new Core Poseidon.

- Added movables tops on the V_missiles launchers.
- Replaced the side guns by AA launchers (with probably waaaaaay too much polys, but they are ROUND !).
- Each side gun is it's own weapon now.

For some reason, the ship has the following problems :

- The script rarely do the "deactivate" or "restoreweaponX" parts. I tried a lot of combination, but only the first weapon - sometimes the second) is restored correctly (don't stop the other to shoot. They just don't go in neutral position anymore).

- On the side guns, only the three first are used.
For some reason, the weapon has
toairweapon = 1
canattackground = 0
but still only attack ground...

Scripting hate me.
Attachments
poseidon.png

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:22 am

The T2 Warlord with enlarged and longer body (still can exit the Advanced shipyard).

The Warlord is way more powerfull than the same ship of TA. Basically, it's a "big hitter" for thoses who don't want/can't build the overpriced T3 shipyard, but still need something bigger than standard T2.
Has 40000 HP, but has the firepower for sunk another warlord in less than four seconds, at least at short range (2x800 dmg / 1.2sec at 1700 range, and 1x1100 dmg / 0.1 sec at 900 range).

No, i don't had tried it's balance yet. :lol:
Attachments
warlord.png

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 am

The new ARM T2 Peau Bleue (it's a shark name), the replacement for the Millenium, since i want animals names for ARM units.

With longer and larger body than the first version, like the Warlord (i can't have an enormous Warlord facing a tiny Peau Bleue).

The Peau Bleue is more or less the Warlord equivalent, but have two gun turrets and no laser. 600 dmg / 1 sec for 1500 range. A little outranged by the Warlord, but can give far more punishment at range (and is probably slaughtered at close range. I probably overdone myself with the Cyan laser on the Warlord & Poseidon).
Attachments
peau_bleue.png

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am

Beccause big is beautifull, Here's the A.K. I wanted it pretty simple and recognizable.
Attachments
ak_2.png
ak_1.png

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

That's nice :).

I have added a ticket for the "noairweapon" bug. I'll have a look at it when I get the last windows package working.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I hope to have around ten new units at the end of the next week. That's probably already enough to put it in example at TAuniverse forum, what do you think ? The simplicity in modelling with the OBJ format + the "cube-joints" is maybe enough for attract possible TA modellers (we just need an AI who USE it's weapons when an ennemy is around and don't systematically gang-up on each player/AI after another if we want players try TA3D).

The "i don't want to use my weapons" look like it's not purely an "tactical AI" bug : Even my units don't necessarily react to enemy presence (laser towers generally ignore enemies), and i can't make commanders attack.

DOT

Post by DOT » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 am

the ships looks much better now
but the A.K. gun looks a bit to blocky :/ i hope the red boxes in front of the gun is not real

Durand

Post by Durand » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 am

No no, the red box are not rendered by the game : That the joint boxes. It's for saying to the game where the joint between meshes are.