c++ Aid

Everything that is not related to TA3D (no abuse will be accepted) / Tout ce qui n'a rien à voir avec TA3D (aucun abus ne sera toléré)
Flashbang232

c++ Aid

Post by Flashbang232 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:15 pm

I am going to try to read up and study coding that could possibly help with ta3d.
But first, i need answers. And so im going to ask.

Firstly, How is C++ used in ta3d. (Exe? Files that ta3d runs off of?)
Secondly, What sorts of coding in general (diff types) are used in ta3d?
Thirdly, is C++ Compiled? And if so, how and with what programs? (Im looking for freeware or warez, idk either way :P)
Fourthly, what is the file format if it is compiled.
Fifthly, where is the best place to start?

I dont care if i sound like a noob on tauniverse trying to make some big mod or whatever, im not gonna try to opt out, and i find learning game/engine/OS programming and file structure/coding to be quite the awesome experience and fun. :)
When you cannot trust your government to lead the nation to better times is when you know the ship is sinking

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: c++ Aid

Post by zuzuf » Sun May 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Flashbang232 wrote:Firstly, How is C++ used in ta3d. (Exe? Files that ta3d runs off of?)
The final binary EXE is the output of the C++ compiler/linker.
Flashbang232 wrote:Secondly, What sorts of coding in general (diff types) are used in ta3d?
If you mean "coding style" there is a file for you in the repository: http://trac.ta3d.org/browser/trunk/docs/dev
Flashbang232 wrote:Thirdly, is C++ Compiled? And if so, how and with what programs? (Im looking for freeware or warez, idk either way :P)
Yes, C++ is compiled. Currently TA3D can be built with GCC (which is well supported) or with Clang (a bit more tricky). Both are free software.
Flashbang232 wrote:Fourthly, what is the file format if it is compiled.
The source code is encoded as UTF-8 text which the compiler processes into a binary (the binary format depends on the targeted platform)
Flashbang232 wrote:Fifthly, where is the best place to start?
http://trac.ta3d.org/browser/trunk/docs/dev
You'll also need a working tool chain to build TA3D and a few other tools to work on the code: You'll have to check out (download) TA3D's code. The repository is: http://svn.ta3d.org/ta3d/trunk (I don't recommend downloading the whole tree as it is big, trunk should be enough).
Once you have the code, run QtCreator, click "open project" and select the CMakeLists.txt file from the trunk/src folder. QtCreator will ask you which parameters you want to use with cmake. For now just leave it blank and click "run cmake" then ok/finish.
You should get the source tree loaded into QtCreator and clicking build should compile the whole code to produce a new ta3d.exe binary.
=>;-D Penguin Powered