A little hello

Everything that is not related to TA3D (no abuse will be accepted) / Tout ce qui n'a rien à voir avec TA3D (aucun abus ne sera toléré)
fezvez

A little hello

Post by fezvez » Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 am

First timer here!

I've been browsing the sources, including that latest changes, and it seems the project is still going on! That's truly a pleasure!

I'll try to compile it. Just to be sure, do I only need the libraries that are named in here : http://trac.ta3d.org/wiki/Install%200.6.x ? Namely : SDL
SDL_Image
SDL_mixer
SDL_net
GLEW
FTGL (included)
Lua/LuaJIT2 (included)
Yuni (included)
zlib

Apart from that, I used to own TA a looooong time ago, but I'm not sure I can't find the CD. I'm not asking you the files, I just wanted to know if I clone the repository, will the software launch (with only thee free data loaded)?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: A little hello

Post by zuzuf » Sun May 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi,

yes, that's the correct list of TA3D's direct dependencies but you'll need the freetype library too to build FTGL.
NB: TA3D will use the shipped libraries even if you have them installed on your system, it's not safe to bypass this behavior (TA3D ships a modified non-standard FTGL).

With the free data set you should be able to start a game but lots of units are still missing (and you'll need maps as they aren't bundled with the free data set yet).

PS: for windows, all the required libraries are in the source tree, it should build out of the box.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

fezvez

Post by fezvez » Sun May 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks!

In fact, I think it's better if I explain the whole situation. I'm a student in Machine Learning, and I'm looking for a C++ RTS game engine, may it be 2D or 3D. Playing doesn't really interest me (though I play a lot!) What I want to do is instantiate a bunch of agents, even if they're really simple, then apply some artificial intelligence algorithms to them. That's why I'm not that concerned by the fact that I will have to use only the free data set.

On the other hand I'm a bit concerned about the maps. Can I manage to get my hands on some of them legally? In the demo? Fan-made maps? I mean, if I download a bunch of maps here : http://www.ratpacker.com/Maps/20-29.html, will the game still launch if it doesn't detect the original TA files?

P.S : The "binet F....X" says hi to you =)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 am

There are lots of fan made maps out there (cf http://www.tauniverse.com/) as well as a few map editors you can get legally. TA3D, like OTA, will launch as long as it can find game resources (game menus, maps, units, weapons, ...) and doesn't care if it's OTA's original resources, the demo, the free data set, a mod or a mixture of that.

I guess you'll be interested in the ta3d/src/engine/unit.cpp source file, especially the Unit::move function :)
fezvez wrote:P.S : The "binet F....X" says hi to you =)
:D
=>;-D Penguin Powered