You have tested TA3D, share your experience /
Vous avez testé TA3D, venez partager votre expérience
nzadlithium

Testing 0.5.1

Post by nzadlithium » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Basically I installed like this:

Add repository: deb http://ta3d.darkstars.co.uk/apt/ stable main

sudo apt-get install ta3d

then I couldn't figure out how to get it to take the files from my old ta3d install, (I couldnt really be bothered sticking the cd's in). I couldn't figure out which folders needed copying and which didn't so I gave up that.

I tried copying the hpi files i found in my old ta3d directory to the new ta3d directory (by ta3d directory I mean the directory /usr/share/games/ta3d) but it still thought they were missing (probably needed to be unpacked or something?)

At this point i gave up and tried using the cd's. I ran 'ta3d install' and it kept asking me to insert the cd even though i had just stuck it in. I found this is because in ubuntu 8.10 upon inserting the cd it mounts it to /media/TOTAL_ANNIHILATION but the /media/cdrom symlink points to /media/cdrom0 so i removed the symlink, then created at again pointing it to where ta was, now it seems to have done what it wanted.

Upon starting the game everything is fine, going forwards through menu's takes approx 3 seconds to load the next menu or something? however going back a menu is instant. (I don't understand why it takes so long to load on my hardware, amd 3700+ nvidia 7600gt gfx).

On playing the game my fps goes between 15 to 37 I don't understand why its so slow?

Also upon quitting the game I get
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 134 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
Value in failed request: 0x1a0000e
Serial number of failed request: 678490
Current serial number in output stream: 678499

And ta3d does not exit until I hit ctrl + c

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:28 pm

TA3D uses ~/.ta3d/resources as its resource directory (it should also works with the system path but this isn't a good idea).

What settings do you play with ? Using more effects will slow the game down. Also it may help if you change the main thread priority while in game: open the console and type "priority n" where n is 0,1 or 2
=>;-D Penguin Powered

nzadlithium

Post by nzadlithium » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:19 am

I just turned all the graphics settings right down. I now get ~90 fps. I guess thats alright fps :)
Its also kind of annoying that it doesn't cleanly close as if I don't run it from a terminal I have to open a terminal up and killall ta3d :S Any ideas what can be done about that?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:48 pm

this exit crash looks like Allegro not sending a correct order to X. Unfortunately Allegro isn't actively developed any more so it's unlikely this will be fixed in Allegro 4.x but this TA3D is going to use SDL instead of Allegro :D ...

PS: do you have compositing (3D desktop) enabled ? without compositing TA3D should run faster.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

nzadlithium

Post by nzadlithium » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 pm

I have no idea whether composite is enabled. Ubuntu 8.10 has let some other program take over pretty much all my x setup, so there really isn't much I can set :S

Can't wait for the sdl version :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm

compositing is enabled when you have a 3D desktop activated (like compiz).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

nzadlithium

Post by nzadlithium » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am

Ah mine will be on then :D