Visual bugs

You have tested TA3D, share your experience /
Vous avez testé TA3D, venez partager votre expérience
Wolf

Visual bugs

Post by Wolf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:36 am

I downloaded and played the game today and noticed a few things visually that could help with the looks of the game.
Some of the units have missing sections. Basically a hole in the unit. I first noticed this with the tech level 2 const. plane, then the Kargeneth. I also noticed the ai for the default built a solar generator and then sat there doing nothing. It was a rather disapointing battle.
I think it may just be my computer but the game took a good 10 minutes to load. I wonder if I installed it wrong?
Quality is always better than quantity...unless we are talking money!

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 am

Kinda strange, since my loading time something like 40 - 60 seconds. And after the cash is done - nearly 30 sec to load.

Did you try to run it for the second time, because the cash files are created after first launch and after that they speed up load process greatly.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:59 pm

If your available disk space is low or if your files are very fragmented the cache might take ages to build/load. If you're using windows check your drive fragmentation (on Linux it's useless since fragmentation is optimized by filesystems). Did you enable texture cache ? It might not behave as expected on some hardware, so it's not enabled with ATI cards and is an option. How many *.hpi, *.ufo, *.ccx, *.gp3 files did you put in your TA3D dir ? (the more you have the longer loading times will be).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 pm

There isn't that many files in it maybe 7(ufo, etc.) at most.

My memory (RAM) is at 959 MB, it is an AMD 64 Anthlon X2 Dual-Core Processor, It is a Windows Vista, and has a 32 bit operating system.

With a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 graphics card, 1280 x 800 screen res.

I have 86 GB of free space

Where and what is texture cache?

What is the optimum way to install TA3D?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 pm

vista is a monster, it takes lots of RAM, with 1GB your at the minimum, if it takes ages to load it's because it lacks RAM and the OS has to swap :(. Also TA3D is mainly developed under Linux, and it uses lots of memory allocation calls instead of a memory pool, so poor memory management under windows doesn't help with that. Also your system shares some RAM with your graphic card, that doesn't help either.

on a 32 bits Linux system, amd athlon 2400+, 768MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, it takes 50 sec to load the first time, 40 sec once cache has been built. I get these results with a unoptimized binary (which is much slower than released ones). I used only totala1.hpi, totala2.hpi, rev31.gp3
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Thu May 01, 2008 2:16 am

Wow that sucks, I have no idea how I can get more ram, especially because it is a laptop.

I have noticed that when I choose the ai to be the default the ai commander builds one building and then sits there doing nothing.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Thu May 01, 2008 6:43 am

Ai behaviour depends on resource files you are using. With totala1, totala2, rev31 and ccunits and ccmaps - ai works very nice :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Currently there is only one AI code, the AI difficulty only sets the "thinking" speed of the AI, if you set it to default, then it'll be slow and on some maps, it might do nothing before you kill him.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Thu May 01, 2008 8:54 pm

the defense ai randomly generates enemies to attack you and they all know exactly where you are. I havn't tried the campaign ai yet.

What does the campaign and annihilation ai do?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu May 01, 2008 10:13 pm

defense.lua isn't an AI, it's a script. The game script is were the rules of a game are coded.

defense.lua spawns units randomly, we created it before adding AI or networking, it was the best way to test the engine, and the only way to play really.

If you use annihilation.lua (kill all your enemies) or default.lua(kill your enemy's commander), the AI will be able to build things and attack.

Campaign AI, is the regular AI with some scripted actions/orders given to its units by a game script generated from the map *.ota file.
=>;-D Penguin Powered