TA3D v.0.3.0 doesn`t run!

You have tested TA3D, share your experience /
Vous avez testé TA3D, venez partager votre expérience
Balthazar

TA3D v.0.3.0 doesn`t run!

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:14 am

Hell, it`s the same error as it was on pre_0.2.4.
Os. WinXP.

Problem: After launching TA3D.exe error message appears -> This programm can`t be run due the incorrect installation.

Any suggestion?

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:54 am

I`ve search Internet for the problem resolve, and found that this error can be because .NET framework don`t installed on Windows.

I`m downloading it right now and do some tests... Maybe Zuzuf build TA3D with run-time packages, or dynamic labraryes?

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:01 am

That`s the cause!! You build VC++ progect with wrong settings!!
Many people encouner this bug!
Something seems to be seriously wrong either with Windows XP or VC++2005. One of my friends is unable to run an application of mine, and the problem has been tracked down to a native win32 DLL that I've been building with VC++2005.
The main problem seems to be the SXS information being embedded in the DLL. Dependency Walker spits this out: Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\complex\sys\SOFTFX.DLL" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).If I make VC++ spit out an external manifest, then we have:Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\complex\sys\SOFTFX.DLL.manifest" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\complex\sys\SOFTFX.DLL" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).
Unfortunately, this makes NO SENSE, because the manifest looks like this:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"><assemblyIdentity version="0.0.0.0" name="SoftFX.dll" type="win32"></assemblyIdentity></assembly>
I'm stumped. Any ideas? For now I'm hoping I can build a VC++2003 project file and compile with 2003.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:05 am

It can be fixed by ither installing MS .NET framework, or by disabling "Auto manifest generation" on linker tab in project settings.
This should help!

And by the way, some of this libs can become needed (msvcr80.dll, ATL80.dll, mfc80.dll) to run it with new linker settings.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:16 am

And one more thing - some of coders suggest to check this settings

Project Settings -> General -> Use of MFC = "Use Standard Windows Libraries" (if MFC doesn`t used) or Use MFC in a Static Library

Project Settings -> C/C++ -> Code Generation = Multi Threaded (/MT) for Release or Multi Threaded Debug (/MTd) for Debug

Hope it could help.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:18 am

Zuzuf - search for this error or ask someone... Maybe Cire knows this VC++ "feature"... :D

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:23 am

I`ve installed .NET framework. All now works, but i don`t think that everybody will do the same to play TA3D :)

Cire

Post by Cire » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:38 pm

If he is releasing versions built with 2005 express you are going to get this, I"am not sure if it can be fixed by 'static' linking.

He could try statically linking against runtime libs or disabling them though i'am not sure express supports this.

My builds shouln't require this but as it stands now i'am sitting waiting for 'next' version, my source is drastically different then his now and needs to get implemented.

For now perhaps he should just build a windows release under linux using ming32, other hten that I don't have any possible other reason unless either jpg, allegro or glew32 is requiring these, i havn't tested it as I can't even get 0.3.0 to unzip as its telling me its corrupt.

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 am

You might wana take a peek at your install directory (where ta3d.exe) is located and make sure you have alleg42.dll, as well as glew32.dll. They are both needed, Allegro for some simple timer handles and few minro functions here and there as well as gl support, glew32 further extends gl fx supoprt, all of these I wish to free us off eventually, nothing more annoying then spending 3 hours in the debugger, stepping code only to find out the issue isn't at all with your code but some stuipid 3rd party code.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:54 am

Thanks! I have alleg42.dll and glew32.dll if Ta3D dir. I wonder, what kind of libs it needs from .NET framework.

Cire - can you build Window Release uzing Zuzuf code of 0.3.0. in MSVC, and Zuzuf build Linux build?

Zuzuf - try to install other MSVC?

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:07 am

no, i can build most of it, but sound/music support is allegro mp3, which i don't have libs for, nor do i wish to build them. I could probably build a version without sound or music. However I must note that i havn't had a chance to fully test my builds yet either, as I just start making some progress and have to resync my code with zuff's, usually loosing alot of code in the process, for me i take 3 steps forward and 2 back.

Personally I think we jumped the gun and should not have relased a verison just yet untill we had all our new code in place and working no matter what it broke that new code shoulda went into play, then everything fixed and then released.

I was close to a full build just before he stopped taking changes and moved into a debugging stage. As for my sound/music classes they just need some tweaks to anything that does use sound to use index's rather then filenames which shouldn't be a big issue, once that is done i probably can begin building and fully testing builds under my msvc 2005 version.

Wish I had better news to report but sadly i don't, hopefully he will be able to find a temp soulation, and then we can return to work on a real build, imho this build is nothing more then a bit of new code and some optomizations, so shoulda been 'skipped' till we had a bunch of new stuff in place, but I guess he wanted to give something for xmas and thats good of him.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 am

Well, in that case we shouldn`t hurry so much. Cire, sound/music not needed till we release a version with playabilty at least 30 minutes for player. We can`t do it without scirmish with moderate AI, or network support. So you can build your version too, just to compare with Zuzuf build. It`s not release - it`s just a test build.

Player just can`t play now ;) Just building isn`t fun, and many bugs don`t help in it also. Yet, Zuzuf make a wise decision, because of 0.3.0 release we showing, that TA3D isn`t dead :)

But 0.3.0. release shows quite a fat list of bugs, which should be fixed now and for all, so after merging your codes at least this bugs was fixed.

It`s very sad, that you lose some of code after merging, hope we`ll manage to fix this problem somehow.