tests on 0.4.1

You have tested TA3D, share your experience /
Vous avez testé TA3D, venez partager votre expérience
Corsaire

tests on 0.4.1

Post by Corsaire » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:40 pm

found some trouble (compiled on Ubuntu 7.10 x64)

in options menu
-the OK and CANCEL buttons have no effect
-the buttons dragging a menu (screen resolution, shadow quality) does not make the menu pop-out, you have to move your mouse to make them appear

in Play menu
-in fog of war menu, what is the difference between Grey, Black and ... ON ?
(Okay I could understand better during game. in fact it's not really a "fog of war" scheme, but something like :
BLACK => undiscovered is black, no FOW
GREY => no undiscovered, FOW is grey
ON => undiscovered is black, FOW is grey
Maybe needs a clarification or a redesign of the menu)

in game
-when clicking on the ground the place you want to have a construction being build shouldn't it make a "clonk" sound to notify the order have been received ?
-two commanders side-by-side were not able to shoot on each other (the lasers were hiting behind) ... and were they mean to be this close to attack each other in the first place ? Is there be a minimal distance to attack defined somewhere in the units definitions ?
I have a screenshot of this one.
-radar range for the commander does not appear on the minimap until you initiate your first construction
-in original TA when you win the game you can hear a victory drum
-when selecting commander and clicking on a rock to reclaim its metal the commander makes a noise it should make only when the reclaiming process is starting
-nanolathing process should emit a little noise during the whole construction time
-I could see a misplaced shadow on the ground (a moving shadow of an enemy radar tower but no radar tower around...)
Last edited by Corsaire on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:27 pm

ok, I think I know what's making the shadow bug, you have to see on screen the unit at least once for its coordinates to be saved in the VECTOR object that tells it to have his shadow drawn somewhere. Will be fixed quickly.

You're right the FOW description is lacking something.

PS: could you send me your ta3d.log file please ? or at least tell me which version of Allegro you used ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:45 pm

liballegro4.2 => 2:4.2.0-5 (gutsy)
allegroGL => alleggl-0.4.3 (from source)

the log file is too long to fit here, I'll email

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:11 pm

To clarify the building sound I checked with TA it should be :

1a- click on the ground, if possible => emitting a "clonk" sound
1b- click on the ground, if impossible => emitting a "clink" sound

2- commander moving on target (no sound)

3- commander starting construction => "bzzzzz" sound of nanolathe starting

4- construction finished sound of building if applied (solar panel opening, radar tower beeping, etc)

For the reclaiming process :

1- click on the tree or rock => no sound

2- commander starting reclaiming => no sound

3- during reclaiming => the reclaiming sound repeats continously until full reclaim is achieved

And last but not least the commander movements :

-selecting the commander => the commander sound
1- click on ground to move to a place => the first commander taunt (something like "bzzzziiii")
2- commander reaching destination => the second commander taunt (something like "zbbbbiiii")

sieistganzfett

Post by sieistganzfett » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:53 pm

i went through and extracted all of the TA sounds, and compared them to the actions in TA that play them, below are the sounds, with the corresponding descriptions from the above post that found them..

To clarify the building sound I checked with TA it should be :

1a- click on the ground, if possible = BUILD1.WAV (i think its this wav file)
1b- click on the ground, if impossible = BUTTON13.WAV

2- commander moving on target (no sound)

3- commander starting construction = NANLATH1.WAV

4- construction finished sound of building if applied (solar panel opening, radar tower beeping, etc)

For the reclaiming process :

1- click on the tree or rock => no sound

2- commander/construction unit starting reclaiming => no sound since #3 used from start to finish

3- during reclaiming => the reclaiming sound repeats continously until full reclaim is achieved = RECLAIM1.WAV

And last but not least the commander movements :

-selecting the commander = if arm (KCARMSEL.WAV), if core (KCCORSEL.WAV)
1- click on ground to move to a place = if arm (KCARMMOV.WAV), if core (KCCORMOV.wav)
2- commander reaching destination = if arm (KCARMSTP.WAV), if core (KCCORSTP.WAV)

**some of these sounds are already in TA3d. but there are sounds that are needed in the above list, and more, such as, tree burn (BURN02.WAV), when you exit the game through the menu, sounds on menu buttons on the gamesetup and main menu, etc.

also, with the french installer exe for windows, is it easier for you to put up a zip file instead of the exe for newer versions? i can't read french that well, and the buttons on the installer are french of course :wink: , wheras a zip is not language dependent. ;) :wink: the exe was corrupt the first time i downloaded it, didnt say until extract, which errored in french.

the pathfinding when there are trees is horrid, units even get stuck walking into a building without a way to get around them. But when there are trees, they walk right into the tree, and can't find a way around the tree, its to the point where they just stop and cancel the move order, sometimes there is no way to get the unit unstuck from a tree or structure without destroying the blocking point. i would beat the ai easiy on "great divide" but my kbots kept getting stuck in the kbot plant since there was a single foilage located right where the kbots are built in the lab. they would not be able to leave the plant after they were built so i had to rebuild the plant elsewhere.

if the units moved literally through the trees, they would still get stuck on other units, structures, and hills. in the case of "shore to shore" having a commander go to the beach to build metal extractors would cause the commander to walk straight to the cliff and get stuck there.

the 0.4.1 is looking good aesthetically (i also updated the nvidia drivers for my geforce 6800 and it hasn't crashed yet). right shift key works, unit tracking is a million times better now. :D right ctrl+C works, but right ctrl+z fails for me (i would never use either right crtl on qwerty though) :D ,i didnt mention the right alt key didnt work in the RC since it never used it personally, though the right alt key does not work.

here is a small "features to add list" for TA3d,
1. shortcut keys that exist in TA that have not been implemented yet.
ctrl+a (select all) ctrl+F (select all factories) ctrl+V (aircraft) ctrl+b (construction units)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 pm

So we have lots of work for 0.4.2 :D .

Currently I am replacing current interface (menus) with the one Julien has made, it's more like TA.

Once it's done -> bug fixing

then networking.

But I will be too busy before the week end (and maybe a part of the week end) so I won't be working much on TA3D this week :cry:
=>;-D Penguin Powered

sieistganzfett

Post by sieistganzfett » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm

after networking code, is the complex horror of pathfinding next? :D

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:23 am

Who knows, who knows ;)

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

Well, I`ve always wanted to ask, and now someone asking the same... Why Light Laser Tower laser color is GREEN ??? Should be red, I suppose :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:18 pm

It's probably a bug in the weapon data loader. Colors are given as TA palette indexes ...
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:32 am

Looks so. Lasers have wrong colors and I suggest to make them more thin.

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:19 pm

I found some more troubles

when you select a plane and indicate to it to make a patrol, you get the typical landing sound when it reaches its patrol destination and go around.

This shouldn't happen and the plane should remain quiet during the flight.

On the same plane topic, the planes should go around faster, their slow movement is inadequate and makes them easy targets.