Few things

You have tested TA3D, share your experience /
Vous avez testé TA3D, venez partager votre expérience
L/\N|)O

Few things

Post by L/\N|)O » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Ok let's get to business ^^

I've unpacked the game. I don't have TA-CD, so I've copied *.cxx/*.hip/*.ufo from TA main directory into the TA3D main directory. After launching ta3d.exe the game started in 800x600 windowed mode.

So...
  • Windowed mode. Game menu (options screen). When I move mouse I get 100% CPU usage (Process Explorer shows me cpu usage) and I get low FPS, mouse jumping/not moving smoothly. When I stop mouse CPU load backs to 0%.
  • Full screen mode. Game menu (options screen). I get extremly high mouse acceleration (this function in windows (Control Panel/Mouse) is called "Enhance pointer precision" but it is in fact Mouse Acceleration. Well... I have turned it OFF so in game I shouldn't get mouse acceleration, but I do. I think it could be wrong mouse handler (dll?). I have laser-mouse (Razer Copperhead) - many games have problems with laser-mice. For example in Unreal Tournament I must turn on DirectInput to move mouse normally (without Direct Input it's acting crazy). Anyway the game is unplayable with mouse acceleration (not little, but as I said BIG mouse accel.). And again: in windows and in Razer config acceleration is turned off. Every application I run does not have mouse acceleration so the problem is with TA3D.
  • Full screen mode. ta3d.exe->Solo->Skirmish->OK. The map is loading extremly long. It gets 2-4 minutes to load the map. It shouldn't load so long... or it should?
My specs (Laptop)
Core 2 Duo T7300 (2GHz)
2x1024 MB
GeForce 8600GT
SoundBlaster X-Fi Notebook
Razer Copperhead + Razer Lycosa keyboard

Thanks for your work for this great game ; )

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Few things

Post by zuzuf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 pm

first, thanks for reporting.

which version of windows and TA3D are you running ?
in TA3D 0.6 you can select mouse acceleration in options->game, and enable input grabbing (inputs are not processed by the window manager), it may help.

I have laser mouse too (Razer Diamondback) and I never got problems with ... but I am running Linux

Can you also attach your ta3d.cfg and ta3d.log files ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

L/\N|)O

Post by L/\N|)O » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 pm

TA3D Version 0.5.4 (newest on ta3d.org, so where do I download the 0.6 version?)

Windows XP Professional Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 (Service Pack 3)

Files attached.
/edit: Files didn't attach. I've uploaded them to my ftp: http://lando.us.to/tmp/ta3d.cfg, http://lando.us.to/tmp/ta3d.log
I have laser mouse too (Razer Diamondback) and I never got problems with ... but I am running Linux
You mean the Razer Diamondback 3G with laser sensor? Because older classic Razer Diamondbacks have - like most mice - diode-based sensor. (Laser mice don't have red light underneath).

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:56 pm

hm, I cannot tell you what's the color of the light under my mouse since it's not visible ... but I remember there were no "3G" in the name

It seems your files have not been attached, put them in a zip/rar/7z/tar archive and try again

PS: 0.6 is current development version, you'll only find it on ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/
=>;-D Penguin Powered

L/\N|)O

Post by L/\N|)O » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 am

zuzuf wrote:hm, I cannot tell you what's the color of the light under my mouse since it's not visible ... but I remember there were no "3G" in the name
So it seems that you have laser mouse.
/edit
Does it look like one of these?
- http://www.vmart.pk/main/images/razer%20diamondback.jpg
- http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content ... ndback.jpg
- http://www.dansdata.com/images/diamondb ... ny1024.jpg
It seems your files have not been attached, put them in a zip/rar/7z/tar archive and try again
I've given (after quick edit) you the download links to my web site in previous msg. Anyway I've attached them to this post (in the rar archive).
PS: 0.6 is current development version, you'll only find it on ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/
Ok I will test it now.
Attachments
TA3D.rar
(8.25 KiB) Downloaded 905 times

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:45 am

thanks,
after looking at those 2 files, I didn't see anything that coud produce such a slow down, it may be Allegro related.

regarding loading time, the first time you load a game (since the last mod change) TA3D builds a cache to speed up loading process for the next times. Building that cache is slow (it writes lots of files to your hard drive in the cache/ dir) but once it's built, TA3D can load its data on the fly in-game so it doesn't need to load everything before starting a game.

PS:
My mouse looks like the one on the first image
=>;-D Penguin Powered

L/\N|)O

Post by L/\N|)O » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:57 am

I've launched 0.6
  • In 1680x1050x32 the map (like in 0.5.4) is loading way too long (3-4 minutes).
  • In 1024x640x32 the map loads normally (approx. 10 seconds). So there is something wrong with higher resolution, because I think the loading times of 3d models/textures/etc. doesn't depend on resolution.
  • In both resolution when map is loaded I have very low FPS (7-14FPS). This happens on every map. When I put camera near the ground I have 20fps. When there are few buldings it gets worse - 4FPS. FPS was slighlty better (2-5FPS more) in the 1024x640x32 mode.
  • When I exit map after scoreboard I get this error: http://clip2net.com/page/m0/1777443
  • I have attached log and cfg of 0.6 to this post
Attachments
ta3d 0.6.rar
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

L/\N|)O

Post by L/\N|)O » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

zuzuf wrote:thanks,
after looking at those 2 files, I didn't see anything that coud produce such a slow down, it may be Allegro related.
What do you mean by "Allegro related" ?
regarding loading time, the first time you load a game (since the last mod change) TA3D builds a cache to speed up loading process for the next times. Building that cache is slow (it writes lots of files to your hard drive in the cache/ dir) but once it's built, TA3D can load its data on the fly in-game so it doesn't need to load everything before starting a game.
Yeah ;), I've changed to 1680x1050x32 from 1024x640x32 and the loading time was 10 seconds. So it was this first time loading :). But the FPS is terrible :(
PS:
My mouse looks like the one on the first image
Hmm, so I was wrong :), because it is diode mouse (it's quite old, and older mice do not have laser sensor). But in 0.6 everything is ok with mouse.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 am

Ok, I know why it's slow, there is a GLSL shader that is rebuilt several times every frame because it fails linking on your system:

Code: Select all

[Fri Sep 04 12:51:41 2009] [error] [shader] Link info
---------
Vertex attribute output count exceeds hardware limits.
just set shadow quality to 1 (stencil shadows) or 0(no shadows) and it should run fine.

PS: Allegro is the library TA3D < 0.6 uses for mouse/keyboard/graphics stuffs, TA3D 0.6 is based on SDL/libYuni now :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered