Missing cfg file.

You have a problem with TA3D, it doesn't run or it crashes...
/
Vous avez un problème avec TA3D, il ne se lance pas ou plante...
moving fusion

Missing cfg file.

Post by moving fusion » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm

First off Hi all.
I have installed ta3d on my new machine, running ubuntu 64 8.10 and upon trying to run it I get the following errors:
[Tue Feb 10 15:13:57 2009] [error] [tdf] Unable to open `/home/nicky/.ta3d/ta3d.cfg`
[Tue Feb 10 15:13:57 2009] [error] [settings] Impossible to load the settings from `/home/nicky/.ta3d/ta3d.cfg`

There is no cfg file in the directory, I assume this to be the cause of the error, however, I do not know how to correct this.
Am I supposed to personally create and populate this file or is the game supposed to create it?

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:23 pm

The game supposed to create it... Wait a little, while our linux players answer your question :)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi,

This is perfectly normal the first time you run it since the game has to create its ~/.ta3d folder, the first time you leave the game or leave the options menu it'll create the config file. You shouldn't get this error again, if you do then this is not normal ...

Currently there are lots of things reported as errors in the logs, but they shouldn't prevent the game from running, only things reported as critical or a few errors can be fatal to the program.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

moving fusion

Post by moving fusion » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm

I suspected it would create upon exit or saving settings, but it is preventing the game from launching. I would attach the terminal output but I can't find the attach button. Instead I have put it on my site.
http://nicky.ellakirk.googlepages.com/terminal_out.txt

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 pm

hm that's strange. Maybe it's not the missing file that is crashing the game but the default configuration.

Try to create an empty ~/.ta3d/ta3d.cfg with read/write access, it shouldn't display this error any more and should use the default configuration (since it won't find any variable in the ta3d.cfg file).

If it still crashes, then it is related to the default configuration and not the configuration file.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

moving fusion

Post by moving fusion » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Thank you, I did that and tidied up my hpi and ufo files. It starts fine now, but crashes shortly after the game starts. Would missing sounds cause this? The last entry in the log is this:
[Tue Feb 10 20:40:54 2009] [warns] [audio] Can't find key `arm_com.deactivate`

I retried and chose core and it reports the same error, only for the core file obviously.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:53 pm

hm, audio module shouldn't produce any crash, try to play with game options. If it still crashes can you send me or upload somewhere your ta3d.log file ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

moving fusion

Post by moving fusion » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 pm

I turned audio as off as I could and turned all the graphics off. Game played fine, I then progressively turned all the graphics back up towards maximum and the game still works fine. I didn't turn the water effects back up to maximum, they look best at ultra high. Upon turning the water up to ultimate it crashes after a while. So I guess that is where the problem is, even while it is running it does not look right.

I built 200 units (about 30% patroling aircraft, 30% static defence, 40% other units) and had them all on screen at once, the FPS dropped to about 16. I still had compiz turned on at the time too. It raises the GPU temperature a bit, but in general it was ok. I am running an AMD 64 x2 5200, 2 gig of ram and a GeForce 880GT with 1 gig of ddr3 vram. That was driving 2 17 inch wide screens totaling 2880by900. The game works across both screens flawlessly, which is unusual for linux, it doesn't normally like to use both screens like this. In regards to this, is there a way of setting the field of view for the perspective cameras? I have found that the default value in most games does not work right at this aspect ratio.

The game looks beautiful, really spectacular, it's everything I wanted TA to be and more. Is there a way of taking screen shots in game?
I last tried playing this a year ago on my laptop and it has moved on a lot since then, I will keep playing it and report any findings in the testing forum.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 am

Unfortunately the water crash is due to a compatibility bug between some lib we use (Allegro?) and recent versions of libx11, the only way I found to fix this was to downgrade libx11 and libxcb.

If you play with shadows to maximum, the game is very likely to slow down with lots of units/3D models on screen because the rendering technique is slow (up to 5 passes for shadow rendering ... shadow volumes aren't very fast for smooth shadows).

You can take screen shots from the console: just press °, then type "shoot" and it should take a new screen shot. You can also use F12 (I think it's that ... it has been a long time since I stopped using it because of Yakuake using the same key :) ).

Also, disabling compiz while running the game will dramatically improve performances (at least in windowed mode, fullscreen mode is very dependent on compiz settings).
=>;-D Penguin Powered