Stand alone version? Please help.

You have a problem with TA3D, it doesn't run or it crashes...
/
Vous avez un problème avec TA3D, il ne se lance pas ou plante...
alienation

Stand alone version? Please help.

Post by alienation » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:12 am

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate this game, but I don't have the original CD or Demo CD.

I Understand I can use totala1.hpi totala2.hpi from stand alone mods, but I don't know where to look.

Can anyone help me to these files?

and btw: if there are (Free) stand alone modules, would this make the complete game Open Source?

Thanks

Doors

Re: Stand alone version? Please help.

Post by Doors » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:57 am

>[quote="alienation"]Hello,

>I'm trying to evaluate this game, but I don't have the original CD or Demo CD.

>I Understand I can use totala1.hpi totala2.hpi from stand alone mods, but I don't know where to look.

>Can anyone help me to these files?

Try here.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... =32&fsoo=2
(This is an ebay search for total annihilation)

They have lots and lots of them on ebay for no more than twenty US$

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/00 ... on&x=0&y=0
(This is an amazon search)

They have TA for 3 bucks and up.

>and btw: if there are (Free) stand alone modules, would this make the complete game Open Source?

I think this would come after the game has gotten stable.
Then it would be feasible to make new races from scratch
for a complete standalone like urbanterror has done.

>Thanks[/quote]
Don't just look at the future through a window.
Open a door and go there.
http://ta3d.freedoors.org
http://www.freedoors.org
http://baencd.freedoors.org

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:57 pm

TA3D itself is Open Source (it's GPL), so with a complete Open Source set of game resources, it becomes a fully Open Source game.

For now there are a few standalone mods like SWTA (StarWars TA). You can also use the demo but you won't have all the units, just download the installer of the demo, then install the demo, copy the *.hpi resources from the demo to your TA3D directory and play :).

Currently we're making a new engine, but the project also aims to create a free set of (HD) resources. Currently the HD models, the textures, all the resources shipped with TA3D are free (as in freedom). But for now we don't have enough free resources to run a game. I hope we'll find some modders to make a free set of HD resources that will work with TA3D, so we can have a complete Open Source game :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered

alienation

Post by alienation » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 pm

@doors: Thanks, but I'm not looking for buying the game (even at 0$) My aim is to evaluate Open Source (or OS candidates) games.

@zuzuf: Thanks. Since you are considering an engine change, I'm hopping you'll consider multiplayer (over internet/lan) as a main feature. I wish you best luck with this project. I do hope moders help a little with the art. Artists tend to give more importance to author credits than coders, so I dare to suggest a CC commercial/with attribution licenses. Not totally Open Source, GPL would be better, but close enough to boost attention.

I'm evaluating OS games for a commercial propose (advertise and give game 4 free, get marketing/publicity results) for an Open Source company.
Even if there's no direct money involved licenses will have to allow commercial use.

I guess in the near future will see companies participating in OS gaming development as they do in general OS software now, even if only for marketing proposes. But I see licenses as a problem. e.g. the starwars mod is great, but it could never be used (by a company) because lucasarts holds copywrite for it. It's still great, because gammers can still use it, but it would be better to have some basis with marketing value to get companies interested. If it was all GPL they would then have to release improvements/modifications to the community, and (maybe) start a new cycle.

This is a great project (I know Spring too) and I hope devs/artists find the will to keep it going. I cant recommend it for commercial use right now, but I'm definitely going to play it for a while...

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 pm

multiplayer is our main goal for next release and if we can make something playable then we'll call it 0.5.0 otherwise it'll stay in 0.4.x branch (except if there are too much changes in the core API because of networking code...).

I wish us good luck :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered