some good idea

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
xpoy

some good idea

Post by xpoy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:53 pm

1.copy building unit list for another builder,this would helpful in Situ Construction unit
2.Custom shortcuts,like spring's setting,but i wanna it can be more Powerful, such as be based on a wide variety of reasons
3.the script can control time speed,i Associate a script movie by control time speed.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:38 pm

yeah, it could be interesting :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 am

save template creates construction template by asving unit/structures and their position
this sould good, :D

and another idea:2 Layer unit group
work like this, alt+1,this selecet big group 1,then press 1,it selecet group 1 in big group 1.and if press alt+1,then press ctrl+P,it selecet all air fighter in big group 1,hmm

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 am

hm current selection mechanism isn't designed to support that kind of layers.

Here is how it's done:
for each unit, there is an int variable that stores the group flags (using flags we can put a unit in more than 1 group), then there is a bool that tells when the unit is selected.

This could be handled with a subgroup variable, but how do you know you have selected a group and what if you have selected units from multiple groups ?

This is the kind of problems we'll have with this, now if you can implement it and send me a patch, I'd be glad to this feature :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:33 am

just use hign 16bits in 1layer
low 16bits in 2layer,thus ok! :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:11 pm

hmm, it would work, but storing the data isn't the problem, the problem is how do you implement the control interface ? I mean do you use a timeout system that allow you selecting a subgroup only a few seconds after you selected the big group or do you check the whole selection and enter in subgroup mode if it matches a big group ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Unavowed

Post by Unavowed » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 pm

If I may add to the discussion, it's a really good idea!

Say I have flashes+samsons in group 1 near the enemy. At the same time, I have more flashes/samsons coming off the production line. In the midst of battle I sometimes want to select all samsons in group 1 to tell them to withdraw behind the flashes, and tell the flashes to rush forward to the enemy, or just defend the samsons. But when I select a samson and press ctrl-z, those new ones will also get selected and travel to the fighting zone.

I propose this:
make all the selection keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-z, ctrl-p, ctrl-b etc.) context-sensitive, i.e.:
- if a group of units is selected, make them only select among the currently selected units, i.e. deselect all units not matching the criterion
- if no unit is selected, make them select among all units

I don't think it's a big deal: now the player will have to make sure to right-click to deselect before using a global selection shortcut, which seems acceptable to me.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:48 pm

I like the context sensitiveness idea :), it solves all the problems :)

Any volunteers to implement it :D ? Currently we're busy working on SDL port ... so any help is welcome (I would really appreciate if someone wants to improve user/control interface)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Unavowed

Post by Unavowed » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Actually now I realised that ctrl-z won't work this way, because you need a unit of a desired type selected first. But this can be solved if group selection is context-sensitive too:

- if nothing is selected and you press 1-9 then the group gets selected
- if units are selected and you press 1-9 then only those units in the group remain selected

This way you could select a samson, press ctrl-z, press 1 and be left only with those in group 1. Or, alternatively, make one of (1-9) or (alt-[1-9]) work this way.

With regards to the previous suggestion, maybe use ctrl-p as normal, but alt-p for the context-sensitive selection.

This could make sense: 1-9 and ctrl-key for normal selection, alt-[1-9], alt-key for context-sensitive.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 pm

yeah it makes sense :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:20 pm

well,my mind like this:
alt+? change big group
? change group that include in seleceted big group.
all ctrl+? work in big group.

In Default,all big group is ALL units.

This is interface.lol

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 am

new idea!
We alway need seleceted a group of some new unit from build.Group build to do this ,this make some trouble.
Why not add a new group Module,that group a section unit to group.
Just sent build'Assembly points to a section, then press "1" then seleceted this section's units. :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 pm

hm, as I am rewriting the scripting code, I think we could add a Lua module that handles selection ... that way we could try many selection systems and let the final user decide. Given the fact that selection is not a CPU intensive task and is driven by user events, this can be easily done by a script.
=>;-D Penguin Powered