player profiles and more detailed stats

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
bigman2008

player profiles and more detailed stats

Post by bigman2008 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:20 pm

how about making and adding a player profile/name manager on the main screen so that the player can easily change their name?
Also, how about adding more pages of stats to post game stats like AOE have Economy,Buildings,Military,etc.?
How about looking into SDL for graphics and sound?
Also it needs options for commander continues game ends, watch mode, and the in game menu needs the following options resign and watch, resign, Save game and quit,etc. When I click leave game it freezes not quits.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:53 pm

how about making and adding a player profile/name manager on the main screen so that the player can easily change their name?
Also, how about adding more pages of stats to post game stats like AOE have Economy,Buildings,Military,etc.?
that's a good idea, but we'll add this to 0.5.1, we already have lots of things to finish for 0.5.0.
How about looking into SDL for graphics and sound?
SDL looks very interesting, we're thinking about replacing allegro with SDL but not before releasing 0.5.0
Also it needs options for commander continues game ends, watch mode, and the in game menu needs the following options resign and watch, resign, Save game and quit,etc.
Yeah, it's still lacking a few things ... but you can select a script that allows to play with different options, for example default.lua ends the game for a player once its commander is killed but annihilation.lua require all units to be annihilated :D
When I click leave game it freezes not quits.
it may take a moment before it finishes releasing memory/video resources allocated by the engine. If it really freezes that's not normal.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Hm.. Yes, more detailed statistic is a good thing. We can also add statistic for multiplayer games, since dedicated server is running :) And have global stats :)

But, like Zuzuf said, not before 0.5.0. is released

bigman2008

help

Post by bigman2008 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 pm

is there a way that i can help with the two features i mentioned to get them into 050?
where is dedicated server?
is there a way to run one?
when will the next test version of 050 be released?

milipili

Post by milipili » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:16 am

`when` is really difficult to estimate, since we all work on TA3D on our spare time.
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

Balthazar

Re: help

Post by Balthazar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 am

bigman2008 wrote:is there a way that i can help with the two features i mentioned to get them into 050?
where is dedicated server?
is there a way to run one?
when will the next test version of 050 be released?
It is always running - when you chose multiplayer game TA3D automatically connects to it :)
The bad thing is that since there are no 0.5.0. released there are very seldom hanging up people, who ready to play, so most of all time the dedicated server is empty.

You should ask about exact time here, so others could create or join server altogether.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 pm

it is not a "dedicated server", it's the same server the web site uses. There is a hidden page that keeps track of games available from the Internet (well at least games which are advertised as "internet servers"), this is only an internet server discovery service, a bit like LAN server discovery except it requires a server to maintain the list.

I've made too much changes yesterday to core code, so current SVN may not sync very well with TEST 6:
_paralyzer support has been added since TEST 6 (with some special effects ... which can be improved)
_lots of bug fixes, some related to network synchronization
_support for infinite number of weapons

also saved games compatibility is regularly broken between SVN versions because of some code being rewritten and some variables being added.

PS: about profile/stats, start thinking about a protocol to sync that with a server and register/login to a network account, then it's all PHP code :P (we use standard HTTP requests, and check client name which must be TA3D on server side - you cannot change the game list from your web browser, except maybe with some addon on Firefox)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Nice nice nice nice :) Sorry for my mistake about "server" :)

bigman2008

bugs on network play

Post by bigman2008 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:39 pm

when you play lan with ai game freezes and un freazes. Also loading of game takes a while.

By player manager I mean a drop down menu with add and delete buttons on the main menu, as well how about a mod manager that comes up before the game starts so you don't have extra archives in the main folder, just in the mods folder. All that really needs to be in the main folder is a map archive. Also the ability to choose which network interface you want to use int the game.

Also, for a true dedicated server you could add code to ta3d-bin that would let you run it as a dedicated game host(ex as web server or proprietary protocol. This would entail using a command line option like -dedsvr or something like that to do this. A seperate app would be fine too.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:30 pm

when you play lan with ai game freezes and un freazes. Also loading of game takes a while.
we're rewriting lots of code, so these bugs may appear and be fixed quickly.
By player manager I mean a drop down menu with add and delete buttons on the main menu, as well how about a mod manager that comes up before the game starts so you don't have extra archives in the main folder, just in the mods folder. All that really needs to be in the main folder is a map archive.
currently the mod management system already allow you to select the mod you want to play, with default mod being common resources only (maps, some textures, units, etc... required by mods), it only lacks the mod manager menu that shows up before main menu (currently you can select mod in "options")
Also the ability to choose which network interface you want to use int the game.
We'll have to look at how hawknl handle this ...
Also, for a true dedicated server you could add code to ta3d-bin that would let you run it as a dedicated game host(ex as web server or proprietary protocol. This would entail using a command line option like -dedsvr or something like that to do this. A seperate app would be fine too.
This should be possible from current code state, since it doesn't really need the renderer ... only a "main thread" to handle input/outputs and lua script monitoring (but if we put the lua script in a separated thread ...)
=>;-D Penguin Powered