Building Rotation

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
REVENGE

Building Rotation

Post by REVENGE » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 pm

In Spring, a useful feature allows you to press the [ / ] keys to rotate the building orientation to face N/S/E/W. It would be nice if TA3D could achieve the same.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm

There are much better way IMHO to chose building rotation. In some TA mods on buildpic present a four arrows, to chose building orientation. You just press the requested one and place building with the same direction. Very fast and easy.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:15 pm

hm yes but this isn't implemented in TA3D ... that's an idea, so we can rotate buildings in mods that doesn't support it. But not for now because it requires to change a few things (if you rotate a rectangle you have to swap width and height ... so some code need to be adapted)

PS: of course it would be a game option since it can change the gameplay...
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:43 pm

It doesn`t change gameplay at all, I vote against adding it as an option :) Just adding it would be nice.

AF

Post by AF » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:46 pm

North always has an advantage over south because northern factories have their units exiting towards the enemy, and south away.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Umm.. don`t you think that enemy location are not always to the north from you? :shock:

REVENGE

Post by REVENGE » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:10 am

It's one of the annoyances of OTA in general. Anyways, some sort of rotation implementation would be nice, and in Spring once you've used the hotkeys to set rotation, the default rotation of buildings will be changed for the rest of the game.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:06 am

Well, it`s not very comfortable :) I use all the direction of rotation while building base. There are many terrain obstacles, map features and other stuff, that player will take to consider where building should be rotated. Position of enemy doesn`t really matters, since all factories have "move" function and place all build unit where you want.

For me rotation - mostly stuff for optimization of base building. It doesn`t connected with enemy position at all.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:13 am

That's what I said, it changes the gameplay ...

anyway currently only model rotation is implemented (but it's random), it's enough to get scripts and orders working properly, but in order to play nice with pathfinding we'll need to add some tweaks to TA's yard map
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:00 am

Well, than maybe we first finish with pathfinding, and then implementing rotation, and other stuff won`t be difficult.

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:42 am

As I already told you Zuzuf :p

You really should focus on what is left to fix/do to make TA3D fully working then thinking about implementing things :)

If you start too much things you'll never get anything finished ever :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:14 pm

You're right.

I'll finish the new GUI (a few screens were missing so I was waiting for Julien to finish some of them).

Pathfinding works (if you find a unit stuck it's not the pathfinder's fault), it might only need some tweaks to find better paths on large maps with water.

Path following code should work well enough the only remaining problem is that units can wait too much when they're "trembling" to pass a small obstacle.

Recently I've been fixing bugs that prevented the game to run a game to the end, it improved stability but such things cannot be done "after" because it's difficult to fix, and cannot be done "before" because they appear when you add a feature or change some code :cry: ... It's every day work.

We're really lacking man power :?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

AF

Post by AF » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Sometimes a new feature requires structural changes which make other features easier to implement.

For example, multiple engine support in AFLobby forced me to do a lot of refactoring which sped up the entire program and improved stability. I have a lot of prettier cleaner code and interfaces now too.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Hehehe, manpower is always lacking :)

REVENGE

Post by REVENGE » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Touche. Popularity will bring us those benefits eventually. :P