TA3D's future

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D's future

Post by zuzuf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32 pm

Now that TA3D 0.6 is released ... and a few years have passed, it is time to modernize TA3D.

I was thinking about porting it to Qt5 (cf https://www.qt.io/). This would bring many new interesting features and increase portability.
Qt5 would make it possible to play TA3D on tablets or smart TVs for instance. It would also cut the number of direct dependencies because Qt would replace SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_net, GLEW, Yuni, ... well the only direct dependency left would be Qt so it would be much easier to build from source.

This is open for discussion, so feel free to post ideas and comments.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

zuzuf

Re: TA3D's future

Post by zuzuf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 pm

I have started porting the code to Qt5. So far I completely removed SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_net, SDL_sgui, GLEW, Yuni, OpenMP. I broke many things in the process but it still loads and runs but with a few features disabled/broken (like water rendering and shadows). There is still FTGL for fonts but I would like to fix broken things first and modernize the OpenGL-based code (lots of code still uses legacy OpenGL 1.x functions, I am rewriting it to OpenGL Desktop/ES 2.0 so that it can run on mobile platforms later).

The whole VFS (Virtual File System, which merges all resources, real folders and archives, in a single interface, similar to a real file system) has been rewritten with Qt. Strings don't use UTF8 any more but Qt's internal coding (unicode), conversion still occurs to render text with FTGL. I removed several legacy features of the renderer (such as shadow volumes, also known as stencil shadows), replaced regular pointers with smart pointers, several loops with C++11 style loops, ...

Have a look at https://github.com/zuzuf/TA3D/ if you want more details.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

apadgett879

Post by apadgett879 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:53 am

Sounds great!!!

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:15 am

There is still a bit of OpenGL code everywhere but since textures are 100% wrapped into Qt objects I also replaced FTGL with Qt font API :).

The 2 last dependencies are:
- GLUT, which will be useless once all rendering is done using Qt's wrapper for OpenGL functions
- Lua : this one is required and embedded in the source tree, I'll see later how we can do to have it on mobile platforms.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

apadgett879

Post by apadgett879 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:37 am

we are looking good, I will start on tarballs, and AUR as soon as I can