Quite a nice thread on TAU

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
Balthazar

Quite a nice thread on TAU

Post by Balthazar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:57 am

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Quite a nice thread on TAU

Post by zuzuf » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 am

Interesting :). It's too bad I am having less time to work on TA3D currently :( .

The point is : WE'RE CRUELLY LACKING DEVELOPERS !
You know, the engine is getting really complex since several parts have been rewritten several times, the renderer supports some new rendering technologies but is fully backward compatible with OpenGL 1.1 (and there are several rendering paths which are not compatible so you'd better not use the wrong one when you want to render something). I'd like TA3D to reach the final 1.0 version, then I'd switch on maintenance mode and spend more time working on things external to the engine like AI (using Lua so it would not be in the engine itself) and the free data set. There are things I would like to add like a modern particle engine which would run entirely on GPU allowing millions of particles to be simulated in real time or volumetric effects, but it would completely break backward compatibility since I would have to simplify the rendering process to be able to use shaders everywhere and do deferred shading, maybe in another project :).

I know people usually don't want to play with the code because they consider they're not developers and given the complexity of TA3D's code I can understand that so I'd like to provide a way to use Lua scripts to control everything in a way that would allow modders to add shields or new kinds of unit interactions easily using only Lua scripting.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

MattyWS

Re: Quite a nice thread on TAU

Post by MattyWS » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 pm

Bump. :P