Some suggestions for TA3D

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
Johnsonpapa

Some suggestions for TA3D

Post by Johnsonpapa » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 am

TA3D is the first 3d rts I played (Yes I know I am a bit slow). I think that TA3D works better on Linux than on Windows. But for that reason I do not mean that windows got kicked by Linux. Many error has been found in windows and getting fixed. But some just remain unfixed during the debugging information can't be supported Windows. I really want to help but I only have small knowledge of C++. I thought for a while and I made some suggestions of improvements of the game.

-While the debugging information cannot be used by windows. Is it possible to download some codes or scripts to make it available for windows?

-Many users found it hard to install TA3D or even make it work. Some people on internet thought TA3D have everything so they do not to own/buy TA cds o play it. Like hpi files. It is possible to patch it in one VERY compressed zip file but it takes ages to load. If any improvements are made the creators need to compress all that file and upload it to the internet. It is the matter of time and the file size is just too big to be uploaded. If there is a is some sentences above the download link saying: The download file does not include (the files needed). You will need to get it from TA cds in order to play it.
That way users can't give negative comments to this game because you made yourselves clear.

Now we go to games... :D

-The game is awesome! The graphics is cool and the zoom command just kick butt! I would really like if TA3D can let us to go on First-Person mode to one bot or vehicle. You guys know that they are bad at aiming the enemy so it would be great if we can use it in FP.

-Some maps has special resources like: trucks, buildings, factories and ruins. It would be really kind of the creators if they could make a 3d model for that. Or even making their own map would be awesome!

-Many users like the game very much. But sometimes they do not know what commands they can use. Like shift+click. That command can let you to give multiple commands to the unit/s or give them multiple building commands. Apparently it doesn't work on windows. If you use it the game will crash. So maybe a readme file contains all controls that the user can use will be very helpful. Example:
Shift and click a unit can let you add more unit to your selection.
To give multiple commands use shift and click the command you want to give to an unit on the map. (It don't work on windows)

Something like that.

Thank you for reading my suggestions. :wink:
TA rocks. But TA3D ROCKS!!! Get it? rocks. and ROCKS!!!

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions for TA3D

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Unfortunately we're lacking windows developers to improve windows support. Currently we are only two developers working on TA3D : me (Linux) and Milipili (MacOS).

We use MinGW32 (a win32 port of the GCC compiler) to build TA3D on windows because it's based on GCC which is the compiler we use on other platforms. Unfortunately this is not the best solution for windows mainly because GDB (the debugger that comes with GCC) is not very helpful on windows. TA3D was once compatible with msvc++ but it was long ago when we had windows developers. I'll try to make it compatible again with msvc++ when I find time for it, it'll probably help fixing many bugs on windows.

First person is planned (I want to do it, at least for fun :mrgreen: ) but is not a priority (it should be implemented through scripting so having a working engine with working scripts is more important).

Regarding commands, you can display a help window which contains a list of available commands (almost all commands should work) from the ESC menu.

Thanks for your suggestions :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Post by milipili » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 am

For my part, mingw-tdm and gdb on Windows work just fine. I use it every day at work. But it seems that the SDL window does not help with that.
About MSVC support, you can rely on libYuni (for the core module at least). The real problem would be to make FTGL/SDL work with MSVC.
Be aware that MSVC brings poor performances.
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 am

hm I was just hopping it would bring a debugger that could really help on windows or at least fix those binary compatibility issues beta 1 & 2 seem to have. Until now the best stack trace I could get with gdb was filled with system stuffs I could not understand even though it crashed after game loading was finished (so I expected at least to see a few functions names from TA3D's code).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Post by milipili » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 pm

The real problem may be somewhere else. On my VMware, I can't see a thing from the beginning, which remains strange. But it is only a supposition.
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Maybe wine work better than VM /:^]
There can be a tut-campain for newbie, maybe TA3D own movie ,also.... :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I never managed to debug TA3D with wine, I could only test it but sometimes it works in wine and not on a real windows :( so working in a VM is better.

Anyway I am working on it right now and I tried all my last ideas (updating libs, testing with several pthreadGC2.dll files, looking all commits between alpha 18 and beta 1). I was about to try building TA3D with msvc, but this thing takes ages to install and load :cry: .

I like the tutorial campaign idea :).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:27 pm

/:^]

Maybe tutorial need some special mod set and some special UI set. But let delay it, there are mass thing todo since beta out.