TA3D 0.6 beta 13 for win32

title is self explanatory / le titre est explicite non ?
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.6 beta 13 for win32

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:53 pm

A new bug fixes release:
  • fixed progress bar rendering in loading menu
  • lots of cleaning (old menu code has been completely removed, old loading screen code too)
  • Google sparsehash updated
  • several minor fixes
  • several fixes in multiplayer code
  • many GUI rendering and performance bugs fixed
As usual, you'll find it here:
ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/windows/dev/0.6/

PS: package has been updated, it now ships the missing dll and Matman's GUI theme
=>;-D Penguin Powered

MattyWS

Re: TA3D 0.6 beta 13 for win32

Post by MattyWS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Nice, does this include the gui I put together? :D Also whats a Google sparsehash?

Another note, before I try myself, do aircrafts fly at a height based on the height map?

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 pm

'This application has failed to start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.'

Got that error when trying to fun it, but may be down to me. Anything to do with a mistake on your half?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:19 pm

huhu, this is my first build on windows 7, I've probably forgotten a required dll somewhere ...
Oops, I also forgot to include your skin with it ... I shouldn't make packages late at night before going to bed :oops: .

I'll fix that when I am back home.

PS: planes flying code uses heighmap data to tell planes their target altitude. Google sparsehash is a hash table implementation from Google, which is really efficient. It's a data container that is used a lot by TA3D (for instance, when TDF files are parsed, their content is used to fill such a hash table).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Is it possible to make aircrafts fly at their set altitude based on the water level height or something similar to that so that aircrafts have a smooth flight (as if they were flying on a completely flat map). It doesn't have to be the water level, even the average height or something, just would be nice to have a way to determine a set height for them to fly. I know TA's unit scripts basically let you choose how high up the aircrafts fly, so you could have one aircraft (lets say brawler) that flies almost touching the ground and any height above that would be an obstacle (I think), or you could make another aircraft (lets say Hawk) fly really high up in the sky. What I'm saying is there should be a set value for ground level for the scripts to start off. That said I don't have a great understanding of how TA works. I say the set value either be water level or the lowest value of the height map.

If you don't understand what I mean just say, and I'll show you in images.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Nice :P I`m definately should give this one a try :P

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Awesome, Thanks :)

On another note it seems metal maps have always been buggy, not just in this beta (haven't tried in this beta actually..) I'm gunna go ahead and say it's either the skybox or the features, because what else can it be?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 pm

Which bug are you referring to ?

Regarding aircrafts, there is an altitude value (defined by the distance between the unit and the ground or the sea depending which is closest) in the FBI file, but nothing in the scripts. Also having obstacles to flying units would require having pathfinding for planes which is not the case here (trajectories are only based on physics and physics like stuffs). It's not impossible but it would require lots of changes in the code (too much to avoid reverting to alpha stage) and since walking areas are precomputed, the fly height would not be dynamic (I don't know if you were hoping it would when using scripts).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Well I noticed in metal maps I tend to get the "send/dont send" error report and it crashes the game. sometimes this happens mid-game and sometimes right after loading the map.

Well in the current state, aircrafts are rather sucky looking, they're all jittery when the height map goes bumpy. Is there any way to make them fly smoothly? I personally think that rather than using the ground or water (depending which is closer as you said) Maybe only have a set flat value? I personally think water should be the only thing aircrafts use, though this may cause issues with maps with no water. Perhaps an average height should be calculated based on the hieghtmap. What I mean is like, take the heightmap image, average out the shades (colours whatever) to have one shade (likely going to be pure grey but it depends on the heightmap, like the average of a hieghtmap that is mostly black will be a very dark grey, while if the heightmap is mostly white then the average would be a light grey)

Is there a way to have this done to heightmaps pre-game, whilst loading the map? Of course only aircrafts would use this and it would not be visible, and it would have to only be used while the aircraft is in flight. The second they take off from ground they use that average as it's set ground value. If this is too complicated I can show in images what I mean but I'm sure I made that clear. :P.

MattyWS

Post by MattyWS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am

On second thought this would cause bugs.. There has to be some way of getting a smoother flight from aircrafts...

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 pm

I had been thinking to this problem when it was not a priority (so I didn't actually implement anything). Current code uses only ground height at the unit position which looks correct only when the unit is moving slowly and the height field is not too complicated. It would probably be better if units could anticipate ground variations.

I mean, imagine there is a cliff, if the plane flies at a low altitude it may get into the cliff or if it doesn't current model would produce a discontinuous trajectory but if the plane knows there is a cliff just in front of him it will avoid a collision with the cliff and its trajectory could be more physically correct.

Regarding that crash can you describe step by step what you were doing just before the crash ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

We are definately need the new video on youtube showing the progress with free resource set :P

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Yeah, would be great. We're starting to have a couple of units (at least models and animation scripts) now and since yesterday we also have our first HD wreckages :).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:37 pm

zuzuf wrote: since yesterday we also have our first HD wreckages :).
screenshots to the scene please :)

Halt during units loading process
Attachments
ta3d.rar
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 1178 times

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Interesting, it crashed just at the beginning of GUI loading according to the last log line. I'll add more logs there and next binary will be built in debug mode.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:18 am

I've made a small video showing Matman's GUI theme : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSooWIA6MU

Soon more videos :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Manoa

Post by Manoa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:44 pm

nice beta it works here 100%, no freeze in loading anymore and haven't seen skating slashers (yet).

units shoot enemies and the ai also builds things, minor drawing bug while holding shift for the unit movement destination but except that it's all good, need more testing to do.

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 pm

mass ppl report to me that weasle is weird, that it didn't run in TA style, they said the car in TA3D keep turn once and once when kobt is very fine, maybe a tank path-find or move point calc problem.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:00 pm

It may be a numerical stability issue (the moving algorithm tries to minimize an "energy")
=>;-D Penguin Powered

D.Durand

Post by D.Durand » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:07 pm

It's the case with my trying under Linux with a lot of units. Even my own units do that.