TA3D 0.6 beta 4 for windows

title is self explanatory / le titre est explicite non ?
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.6 beta 4 for windows

Post by zuzuf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Woow, finally this crash is fixed so here is a new beta which should work properly (I was able to play an entire game against AI in a virtual machine, so nearly a real windows).

So basically it brings (compared to last alpha, which was the last working package) the new pathfinding algorithm, several performance improvements (but pathfinder is likely to be called often when units can't find their way, so at end of game when there are lots of wreckages it tends to slow the game down), several minor fixes. It should be more stable but given the fact that it's the first working windows package with the new pathfinding code, this specific area may still be buggy on windows (and it's still not finished yet).

Don't expect the pathfinder to be perfect yet, there are still several things to tweak and generated paths are difficult to follow for some units (ships have difficulties because of repulsion stuffs they sometimes have difficulties passing over way points and have to go back) and pathfollowing code still needs some improvements.

As usual it's there:
ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/windows/dev/0.6/

Enjoy :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

slogic

Re: TA3D 0.6 beta 4 for windows

Post by slogic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

Can't smack your small victory. Under W7 there are still jerks & great CPU load in menu introduced with beta 3.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 am

Strange, in a virtual machine (running win7, single core VM) I only get a relatively high CPU load (about 34% which is a bit less than what I get in game :shock: ) that might be due to the fact it's running inside a virtual machine.
Also I don't remember having changed anything in menus code between beta 2 and 3 so it's probably a side effect.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 am

Yes, somehow in Beta 3 was the huge perfomance loss OVERAL in game menu and in loading process (i guess because of HUGE CPU load). Will test new release today evening! Thanks Zuzuf!!! :D :D :D

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:31 am

/:^}!!
downloading, will test before sleep!

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Does replacing the gui/default.skn file from beta 3&4 with the one from <= beta 2 help ? Does changing GUI theme help ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:55 pm

really cool!
ALL fine

But 3 significantly things, what needs improvement

in some map like pincushion, where a lots obstacle, the pathfind be trouble, that pathfind threat a object as bigger than the object true size, this make a lot path be missed and cons couldn't find ways in specail case.

Add the "<"/">"/"." for select before/ next menu
And the quick key ctrl-c, it should free when player ctrl-c then move mouse, so do "track"-T.

The alt+1/2/3/4... select group, and switchalt switch to 1/2/3/4/.. select group. And alt+1/2/3/4/.. had new mothed, select menu for units.

slogic

Post by slogic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm

zuzuf, i'll check skin stuff, but only at home.
...The alt+1/2/3/4... select group, and switchalt switch to 1/2/3/4/.. select group. And alt+1/2/3/4/.. had new mothed, select menu for units.
I think having a switch like "+switchalt" is obsoleted for modern games (TA's rudiment). I mean it should be ON by default thus you press less keys to select a group which is the goal of any great interface.

PS . Is quotation not working in current forum? I checked at "café" forum. It works there!
Last edited by zuzuf on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: enable BBcode

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Still don`t work for me. Got music playing but game window didn`t appear. Experienced crash right after the progressbar was filled.

Also about slowdown in menu - GUI change don`t help, using GUI from beta 2 don`t help ither. I`ve go to pres several times (3-5 times) mouse button to get it finally pressed. May it be somehow related to mouse restriction fixes that was done lately (between beta 2 and 3)?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Balthazar wrote:Still don`t work for me. Got music playing but game window didn`t appear. Experienced crash right after the progressbar was filled.
Did you try starting a game with all settings set to minimum ?
Balthazar wrote:May it be somehow related to mouse restriction fixes that was done lately (between beta 2 and 3)?
Very unlikely since it doesn't change anything for menus (it only does twice something that had been reported to work and it does that only when you enabled mouse grabbing).

Try to run TA3D with dlls from beta2, I updated many SDL stuffs maybe it's the problem.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 pm

zuzuf wrote:Did you try starting a game with all settings set to minimum ?
Yes, doesn`t help.
zuzuf wrote:Try to run TA3D with dlls from beta2, I updated many SDL stuffs maybe it's the problem.
I`ve used all the DLL`s from beta 2 - the slowdown in the main menu is still there. Looks like it`s the ta3d.exe itself.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Ok, so since I can't reproduce this bug I'll send you a binary built from a SVN revision between beta 2 and beta 3 and you'll tell me if it's working correctly or not until I can figure out what broke that thing.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

slogic

Post by slogic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 pm

Balthazar wrote:I`ve used all the DLL`s from beta 2 - the slowdown in the main menu is still there. Looks like it`s the ta3d.exe itself.
Yes, they are binary the same, i've just compared.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 am

zuzuf wrote:Ok, so since I can't reproduce this bug I'll send you a binary built from a SVN revision between beta 2 and beta 3 and you'll tell me if it's working correctly or not until I can figure out what broke that thing.
Ready when you are :P

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Hope to get my hands on working version till monday :P

slogic

Post by slogic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 am

Mee too. I haven't played 0.6 branch ever!

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 am

slogic wrote:Mee too. I haven't played 0.6 branch ever!
I`ll test today evening the latest Win32 version with the latest fix. Should be without bugs listed above :P