0.4.2. test 11 bugs

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
Balthazar

0.4.2. test 11 bugs

Post by Balthazar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm

During testing several bugs was found, here are most annoying some:

1. On scirmish game setup screen should be a bigger window with map description, since current one can`t display all the info about selected map.

2. PeeWee`s have wrong type of fire. They should split several projectiles (i suppose 3) one after another in one shot. Currently they shoot with only 1 projectile.

3. On crystal maps (violet ones from CC maps) metal extractors doesn`t extract metal. But moho metal extractors - DOES extract!

4. Hold fire function doesn`t work if unit is already firing at something.

I`ll keep testing.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I've tested my Linux packages on various systems, they work fine, except for one thing (that should affect all the packages) : when you only have totala1.hpi & totala2.hpi as resource files, the arm commander (I haven't tested with core) can only build basic things (solar panels, metal extractors, ... but no factories, in fact only the first build menu is available !! Add the rev31.gp3 or ccdata.ccx file and everything works fine ...

can you try and tell me if you have the same problem ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:24 pm

I`ll test that.

My average load time is nearly 40 sec with ready cache. Athlon 64 3400+ 1 Gb. Ram

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:27 pm

No, with Totala1 and Totala 2 i can build all the buildings except CC ones.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:43 pm

did you remove rev31.gp3 ??

load time depends on the resource files you use, the more you have the longer it'll be.

PS: bug 4 is fixed ;)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:00 am

Yes, I`ve tested without rev31.gp3 of course :) Only totala1.hpi and totala2.hpi

In early versions ot TA3D i`ve used only this two resource files and it works fine.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:14 am

Ok, so I am facing a strange bug ... I have to fix it before 0.4.2 since it's a very annoying one :?

PS: what happens if you also clear the cache ?? (erase the content of the cache directory)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:09 pm

Also - there are still some strange thing when using only totala1 and totala2. In build menu i can see all the building (on 2 pages) BUT if I begin to switch to the next page after second - all I`ve got is just blank build menu and i can swithc back and forth and all the way i see only black menu. But if i didn`t switch too far from the start - i still can return to the first to build pages of build menu.

Kinda strange :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm

yeah that's strange. I've fixed the "only one build menu" bug but there are still some strange things that happens ... like game statistics menu not being drawn completely (seems to happens with other menus ... :( ) :(

I don't know what's doing this. It may be a memory leak due to only using totala1.hpi & totala2.hpi ... I will fix that too :wink:
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:56 pm

I know you will :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:00 pm

I did :)

It was a memory corruption bug in the cTAFileParser module due to a recent modification ...

now it should work just fine :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:44 pm

I`ve noticed that if you switch mods - game crashes if cache dir is not erased.

Zuzuf - why don`t you add something like that

if (ta3d_quit_succesfull) else erase_cache

so if previous run was unsuccesfull - clear the cache dir. Should help a lot :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:08 pm

I'll add something to clear the cache when mod is changed. I don't think clearing cache is useful when the game crashes. All the crashes I have debugged were due to parsing errors or errors not concerning the data itself.

PS : done :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 am

bugs 1 & 2 are fixed (for 1, text is a bit smaller, still easy to read but we can put all the mission information we want)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:31 am

3 is fixed too, I found the right formula for metal extractors :P
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:56 am

Well, on some sand maps metal extractors was not able to be build on the metal deposits :)

Also I`m thinking about creating new models for metal deposits - 4 different kinds for all the maps, since they don`t differ much and change it color to something violet or (or and) green, dunno yet :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

good idea :)

we'll also need 3D rocks and some other features that are still rendered as sprites and look ugly :cry: (ie : hills )
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Yeah, hills looks aufull... Maybe we should turn them off, while there are no nice 3D models?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:35 pm

no we should let them until someone says : "that's awful can I make some 3D replacement models ?" :P
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Yay! You are right as always :P

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

I've fixed lots of thread safety and a few memory corruption bugs, so now the game is much more stable and passed the ultimate stability test:
running the game with thousands of units firing at each other (using the spawn command, but I could also write a .lua script to do the job :P), I managed to run it until I got fed up :D !!

PS : it would be great to finish the documentation by including the new version of the resource installer, so I'll send you a updated package so you can see what it looks like and take nice screen shots :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:06 am

Some new bugs :)

1. There should be ither restriction to use 12-icon build menu on resolutions lesser than 1024x768 or it should be sizeble, since now on 800x600 or 640xx480 size of 12-icon build menu don`t match size of othe GUI parts and covers some of function buttons.

2. AI still can`t place metal extractors directly where it should be placed :P

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 am

I am afraid I won't be able to fix those bugs before 0.4.2 since I am going to Belgium tonight and I'll come back on Sunday morning... I'll add them to the TODO list :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Not a problem - take your time :) I hope I`ll finish new models for metal deposits and documentation. :D

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:59 am

Documentation is updated. But I didn`t manage to run Installer, since I have only TA:CC Cd-Rom and installer seems to ignore it with message - can`t find path to TA CD-Rom.

I`ve got 2 Cd-Rom`s, and TA:CC in the second one, maybe this is the cause?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm

you should put TA CD 1 first (it contains base resources, if it can't find it it'll stop the installation process) then TA CD 2 if you have it (if you don't it won't stop the installation process), then just put the discs the installer is asking for and if it can find the required data it'll install them (unless there is a nasty bug :( ).

If it tells you "can't find path to TA CD-Rom" then there is something wrong with the first step of the installation ... I'll look at it in a win32 environment.

Also I'll release a 0.4.2 RC 1 today and the final 0.4.2 when it's ready :).

NB: I will stay at university next week end so I won't be able to upload it to darkstars so I'll send you the packages so you can upload them if you have time ;)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Sorry, I made a mistake. I don`t have 2 CD-ROMs, I`ve got 2 CD-DRIVES :)
My version of TA:CC fit on one CD-rom with all neccesary resources.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:59 pm

ho yes, 2 cd drives ... it won't work if you don't put the CDs in the same drive ... :) it only autodetects the CD path the first time it tries to read it ... maybe I should change that ...
=>;-D Penguin Powered

slogic

Post by slogic » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:03 am

Tested the latest version. TA Spring is much advanced but gameplay of TA3D is more original. Also i got a habit to use left click mode instead of strict right click mode in TA Spring. Gameplay rules. So TA3D has a good potential for all the people addicted to classic TA (as me).

Here is the list of bugs (tested under windows xp sp2, cpu c2d e2140, video radeon HD3850 with Catalyst 8.3, memory 4 (available ~3,2) Gb):
1) listbox component (in menu) is not affected by any arrow keys (up|down), so it's very hard to select a map (scroller field is very narrow)
2) nanolathing spray disappears randomly (energy & metal is enough & they are not exhausted)
3) i can see many gray horizonal lines (artefacts?) in the game across the screen; TA Spring has this problem too but it appears on dynamic effects (explosive) only; Supreme Commander works perfectly ;)
4) first time a started the game it hanged after it read music track list (according to log file); by that time i copied totala1.hpi only. i close the process via task manager & relaunched the game again & i finally saw GUI
5) i was playing 800x600 in windowed mode; i guess raster fonts are resized; this is a bad idea cause i could not read anything clear; this also concerns fonts in-game - looks very ugly
6) i think there are some bad calculations with plane (or activation of restriction of bulding) when building some buildings onto inclined plane - some poligons in the corners occured under the ground
7) yep, as mentioned above, shooting targets is very strange - looks like you shoot the goal, but missed; also target selection is stupid - instead of making backfire my ship was shooting at construction plants so a had to point personally where to shoot.

Anyway project is really nice, i can play windowed mode without interface bugs (original TA has much problems with it) & much of original TA is left untouched - this is perfect!

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks for report,

we'll improve this :wink:

Also we are lacking man power here ... so if you want to help us we would be more than pleased to welcome you in the team :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered