simple suggestion (for 0.4.2)

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
Corsaire

simple suggestion (for 0.4.2)

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:16 am

Hello all,
I have a suggestion for the advancing of the project as of version >0.4.1

Of course it may be not the better move but regarding what became TA3D I believe it may be worth thinking just a minute about it.

Right now the BIG jobs are :

-refining pathfinding
-multiplayer support
-a working AI

Of course I can forget 1 or 2 others... as you can see I said BIG in capitals, meaning it will take a lot of time to complete and maybe/surely the work of several people, so there is the possibility that it won't be all fixed before maybe 6 months and several releases seeing the pace of the project.

My thinking is the following : Since we know how difficult are the BIG jobs, why won't take a break on these and for the next release, which is 0.4.2, concentrate on fixing the little annoyances ?

There are tons of little things that can be fixed in a matter of minutes, and cleaning all of these may make a path cleaner for the big iron.
For example those are :

-lasers with wrong color
-sounds not accurate with action
-inconsistencies in menu
-several little bugs in game (like the shadow placement I reported earlier)

I do believe that the more all the little things cleaned out, the more our developer people (okay, mainly zuzuf :wink: ) can really concentrate on fixing the BIG parts that will need a major re-writing.
It takes lots of reflexion so it's better not being annoyed with little things, therefore clean them all first hand.

please discuss

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:26 am

Yes, you're right.

Currently I am definitely fixing the GUI system, and making a skin that is more like TA GUI, with a real config screen, a real game setup room ... making all the screen use our GUI module. Once it's done I'll focus on pathfinding.

I also fixed a few bugs like the shadow bug (which was because I forgot something while I was fixing another bug ...).

Currently the AI API isn't finished (I am not talking about the AI itself), so I'll clean it and make current very basic AI an example for AI coders.

So in the right order:
_I'll finish the GUI system
_I'll clean the AI API (shouldn't be long)
_then fix the pathfinder definitely

So I won't start coding the network part before these things are done. This should let others the time to get more familiar with the code and start the networking part.

other minor bugs are everyday fixing...I only need to remember what to fix when I am working on the code :?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

AF

Post by AF » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:52 am

If you can provide me with a definitive set of headers that provide a set of interface classes encompassing a callback class and an AI class e.g. IAICallback and IGlobalAI in spring, and it does everything I need it to I would think about porting NTai.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:17 am

Ok, I am finishing what I am doing on GUI (some parts of it are currently unusable ...) then I'll clean the AI API.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 am

Okay, good to see I could be clear enough, I wasn't sure you'll understand completely what I mean :)

On this matter, I'll have a look at the install system on Linux which is still on a stale state.

Little things give bad impressions on people who wants to try TA3D more than the big structural one. It feels something like "what, they can't even get a beep right ?" (for the events sound not corresponding).

On a side note, could you get on the ta3d channel on etigris IRC server ?