TA3D 0.4.1 RC 1

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.4.1 RC 1

Post by zuzuf » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Yes, it's called RC1, which means, I won't add features to it before 0.4.1. Only bug fixes, adding documentation, ...

I might start some network related code but it won't be visible from what 0.4.1 RC1 currently is.

It mainly fixes bugs, and add some options in the config menu, so now you can have the camera behaviour you want :wink: .

TA3D 0.4.1 RC1
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:55 pm

Cool cool cool cool!

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Works fine :) Thanks for so many usefull options!!! But camera default height should be more - something like 300 or so. 200 is vey low.

I`ve played several games against AI - all seems fine.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 am

Old bug with terrain overcover of the buildings is still present. Looks like you`ve missed sime check, Zuzuf.

There are should be check of all polygon height values under building footprint and setting the max height for bottom of building. Looks like you are currently checking only one or several polygons, so many buildings that have plane quads at the bottom often covered with terrain - see Airplane factory, all GOK factories, and so on.

It seems that my previous suggestions for smoke dispersion are left unnoticed. Smoke should be more concentrated :D

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:11 pm

And underwater pathfinding for units (Commander, amphibious) doesn`t work properly. Units can`t walk under shypyards and stuck somewhere near one of corner.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 pm

hm yes it's hard to clone underwater pathfinding behavior because of the huge number of parameters to take into account, and because it's very hard to observe it in TA (you don't really see the depth...).

The terrain that covers some unit models is due to the fact that some models have negative height values for some of their points :evil: and that's difficult to prevent buildings from "flying" with a different code. Even if you chose the maximum height that is under your building it won't work because of depth buffer precision ... So we definitely need polygon offset but if we apply it to the whole model then we'll have other problems. In TA this is not a problem since you only have to draw the units above the map. If we disable depth test then we won't have good shadows, and units won't be drawn correctly when they're close to each other. So currently I see no solution.

Also since we have to release official 0.4.1, I won't do much changes to the code before we release it. (could you send me the doc please, so I can release quickly, and then continue the work on GUI with Julien).

PS: yes we're making the GUI more like TA, with metal, ... so the GUI theme that is currently used for buttons, ... will be replaced (may be before 0.4.1, but background cannot be replaced because it will imply too much changes to the code and various files), also this theme was designed to be temporary, so it's a bit ugly.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 pm

I hope to send you docs tomorrow for your sugestions.

And Smoke should be more concentrated !

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:10 pm

What king of smoke ? missile trails of smoke ? smoke from explosions ? smoke that indicates damages ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

sieistganzfett

Post by sieistganzfett » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:07 am

TA3D 0.4.1 RC1 tests and bugs found

on a US-dvorak layout keyboard, while playing TA3D, the keys respond properly in the console. but outside of the console, the keys respond to the standard QWERTY US layout. for example. ctrl+C in dvorak fails since TA3d expects me to press ctrl+J which is where the C key used to be for the ctrl+C

i ran the setup utility from allegro-misc-4.2.2\setup, but under the locale section, it errors that it can't read keyboard.dat and language.dat. it fails since there are no keyboard.dat or language.dat files from the zip file i download. reading through the allegro says to use that setup to map the keys, and have the file it makes with the TA3d for it to work properly. I can't figure this out without the dat file to move forward in trouble shooting the problem with keys. :( where can i get the missing .dat files?

other than that for the TA3d game, on the options menu, i selected english, but for certain things coded into the engine, such as DEFEAT it says it in french instead when i am "defeated"

when I select an armca (arm construction aircraft) it can't build anything on the map "shore to shore", but I can select a buildpic, but can not move the cursor to build anywhere on the actual map. construction vehicle and construction kbot did not have the problem on "shore to shore" and the arm construction aircraft does not have a problem on any other map i tried so far.

On the map "seven islands" it seems the game consistently crashes if an arm metal extractor is built, i played as core to check if it occured there, but the crash follows arm since it crashes also when the default ai script to built a metal extractor as arm. I duplicated this crash 3 times. Its very hard for me to troubleshoot these crashes since it crashed again on "seven islands" and i have no idea why this time though.

How can i give more info on the crashes when i get them? the log file is very long, and nothing in it regards a crash.

i noticed a bunch of little things, i'm not sure if these are just features that will be eventually put into TA3d, or existing bugs.

For example.
in addition to the ctrl+F for factory select,
ctrl+# 1-9 to create a squad not doing anything, and
ctrl+t "unit tracking" never being untrackable for me.
I have found that the ctrl+A doesnt work, in TA it would select all units.
ctrl+G would select all ground units but in TA3d it doesnt work,
ctrl+S which selects all units on a screen, doesn't work
ctrl+V which selects all aircraft, fails to work too.
I didn't go through all of the shortcut keys. Ones that do work so far from what i seen are ctrl+C and ctrl+Z, and ctrl+d.

also, will the options menu later on the project be accessable from the game itself by pressing a key? what about

changing game speed by pressing + and - ? will the game settings eventually "save" what a user sets them to, such as setting the ai to "hard" and metal / energy to 1000 instead of 10,000? it seems that no matter what i change the game settings to, they revert back to ai easy, 10k metal and energy.

another question, which i think i know the answer to, once ai is implemented. will it use the TA approach of using weights and limits via a txt file that is specified in the the aiprofile=; lines of maps?

if so, i have a category based ai i made a while ago that i will put forward as a replament to cavedog's ai profiles. it supports most 3rd party mods and units when i tested it.

I will continue to look through the RC1 of TA3D 0.4.1 for other bugs that i don't think have been mentioned yet by anyone. i already looked through the code in the TA3d engine but it is too complex for me personally, so i don't think i will be able to provide any value in programming C++. :( sorry..

-sidenote, i have an email that confirmed that created my username a few days ago, and today the info was invalid for my Username when i put it in, but would let me recreate the same username, with a different email address and gain access to the forum? :?

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks for you reply! I can`t answer on most of your questions, but on several i can :)

Ctrl+# 1-9 does create squads :)
But you should use Alt+# 1-9 to select any (just like in TA, +switchalt doesn`t implemented yet)

Game speed currently can be changed using + and - keys. I suppose the problem with you keyboard layout.
Zuzuf must know the cause.

Anyway, waiting to hear from you more :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:38 am

thanks for reporting, that's already a nice way to help!!

the .dat files should be somewhere in the Allegro archive.

it's hard to debug crashes that happened while playing, but the ta3d.log file already contains useful information about the crash (ie: hardware is very important, for example the video driver can change many things, files that where loaded too, ...).

All the TA shortcuts aren't implemented yet, only ctrl+c, ctrl+z, ctrl+t and ctrl+d are implemented, as well as ctrl+1-9 that should work (so this is a real bug). ctrl+t unlocks when you press ctrl+t again but in 0.4.1 it will also stop tracking when you deselect the unit.

Currently game starting options aren't saved, only script and map is saved, the rest will come too.

Currently AI works almost like in TA, with weights but the base basic AI system doesn't handle limits. When the rest of the AI system will be coded, it should be possible to load a TA AI.

As far as your forum account is concerned, if a user doesn't post anything for 24 hours, then the first person to register will remove the account (it's a system used to prevent spambots to pollute the member list). So your old account should have been removed now and you can change your user name.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

sieistganzfett

Post by sieistganzfett » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:34 am

there are many .dat files in the allegro-misc-4.2.2 that i downloaded, none are the keyboard.dat or locale.dat, this keyboard thing will not be that much of an issue if i know how to work it, i'll look into other allegro download files for the dat files and bring this up later on if i can get it working right. some other games swear its a qwerty keyboard too, but sometimes a game will realize its dvorak. However, both sides of the key mapping issue screws me up when i can't reprogram the shortcut keys in a game. Don't worry too much about it since i'm pressing the "right" keys now. :)

ctrl+t tracks differently in TA3D 0.4.1 RC1, than TA. In TA, you move the mouse and it will untrack the unit because the mouse was moved. in TA3d you must unselect the unit, then press ctrl+T again to untrack, else the window keeps jumping back to the last unit you selected when you did a ctrl+T. if you select another unit, the window will jump back to the last thing tracked too. Zuzuf, did your reply to that mean in the final 0.4.1 it untracks simply by unselecting a tracked unit?

making squads does work, i rechecked that and the other issues i have had.. I must be really used to the +switchalt i did on TA, considering i duplicated the problem several times and in several different games in TA3D.. i am also used to seeing the health of units and the squad numbers of them through the one shortcut key in TA.. is there a way to see this is TA3D to know the health of the units, and the squads they belong to?

revisiting other bugs i had..

dealing with the arm construction aircraft not letting me build anything only on the shore to shore map. today it works fine. and the arm mex doesn't crash "seven islands" anymore. but i think zooming out caused the crash today on "seven islands." anything can be happening really..

i'll try newer drivers. i'll also try the exact original hpi file from the ta cd i have somewhere, with the rev31.gp3 and ufo files, instead of the single hpi file i packed all of cavedog's units into that works great in TA.

the ai supports weights now, but not limits, and will not read an aiprofile from a txt file yet? or is it actually reading the weights from the ai profiles now?

Allegro: 4.2.2 (2007)
AllegroGL version: 0.4.2
CPU: Athlon64 AuthenticAMD amd64 -cpuid-x87 FPU-MMX-MMX+-SSE-SSE2-SSE3-3DNow!-Enhanced 3DNow!-cmov
FMOD version: 4.8.7

OpenGL informations:
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
renderer: GeForce 6800/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
version: 2.0.3

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 am

hmm, that's strange, nvidia cards are usually very stable with TA3D since I am developing with an nvidia card. Some bugs can be platform dependent, and it seems that sometimes they just doesn't happen, I don't know why. So those bugs are difficult to fix and this will take time.

seven islands is a huge map, and the low details texture that is generated for the low details map used when zoomed out will use a very large texture (the maximum size your card can handle), and it is known there are problems with some ATI cards on some platforms with that (mainly a small (2 seconds) freeze the first time you zoom out).

Currently TA3D doesn't read TA AI profiles, but this shouldn't be hard to add since AI already uses weights for everything.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

AF

Post by AF » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:57 pm

From my experience OTA style weights are not the optimum strategy for figuring out what to-do.

They can even be auto-generated from experience, as is done in the spring AI named AAI. KAI pre-calculates it using a set of complex balancing algorithms, and NTai uses a combination of the two.

As such NTai and AAI improve a little as you play them.

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Hello, long time not come right ? :p
I had lots of computer trouble lately but now it's fixed.

I'll have a try at the new version now see you soon (I hope ;) )

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:43 pm

HELLOTHERE!!! Yeah, long time not seen :) Yeah, make some tests, new version is quite amazing :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 am

Hi Corsaire,

it's been a long time :D , good to see you again 8)
=>;-D Penguin Powered