work in progress, getting closer to 0.4.1

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

work in progress, getting closer to 0.4.1

Post by zuzuf » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:08 pm

I've fixed bugs with camera code, done some cleaning.

The camera behaviour can be configured in the config menu, the angle can be locked at the value you set in the config menu (which is the default value of the camera when you start a game).

waves are an option, trees are no more an option. Units should be rendered faster because I modified the rendering code to use display lists instead of the long list of commands sent to OpenGL.

I fixed a few bugs with the GUI system (only affects mods compatibility) and I changed the drawing of build menu buttons -> they were transparent, now they aren't and they get brighter when your cursor is over (I've done this because there is always a GUI background behind it, and it's not designed to be shown behind buttons).

Well it should be one more step towards perfection.

Soon a test release, which in fact will be a RC since it'll probably only be lacking updated doc.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Docs is on their way :roll:

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:36 pm

There strange lags on windows platform, when playing GOK mod.

Lag happens when any powerfull weapon/unit shoots. Especially with smoke explosive. If several units fire at the same tme - lags multiplyes. No cashing seems to happen, since lag have same latency and effect no matter how long same unit shoot in the same place. It`s very noticeble thing, but I don`t know if you can experience the same on linux.

You have to look more detailed how GoK explosive weapons are done - is it sprites or 3D models?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:56 pm

I've been playing with GOK a bit and I experienced some slow down too, but this is very strange because it happens when I spawn 100 GOKGUARDIANs (fps drops to 2 - 7 !!!) but with only 10 of them fps doesn't even change !!

So I suppose this is due to some code that is executed in some strange condition ... need more investigation there.

I fixed a few bugs, and camera zoom speed can be configured in the config menu too, someone told me it would be great. Also good news, this person might be willing to help us with an advert campaign !!

I wanted to fix more bugs with GOK but I ran into troubles when I tried to run it with TA engine under Linux since it seems that the installation of Wine I have on my laptop doesn't make it run very well (it might be because I recently updated my system to the new release, in ubuntu Feisty it was working well, in ubuntu Gutsy it seems it has a few problems...)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:38 am

Well, maybe slowdown is because of windows memory managment system.
The more advertisment - the better! Bring him here :)

Also - it`s almost always 110 - 100 fps in ta3d (1024x768, Athlon 3400+, Radeon x1600)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:17 am

hmm 100 fps you say,

my previous laptop was an athlon 3400+ and with a GeForce FX 5700 I could run it at 300 fps (but on a 64bits Linux) !! But it's possible that it's because of new features and such that weren't implemented when I was developing TA3D on this laptop (more than one year ago :D ).

I noticed something about performances, when ran in 64bits mode, TA3D is faster than in 32bits mode, but the performance increase isn't only 10%, it can reach 100% !!! (well at least when I ran the test without units on the map ...). But in 64bits mode, TA3D requires more memory because it uses arrays of pointers (for lists, ...) which are 8bytes in 64bits and only 4bytes in 32bits. Also the ATI OpenGL driver isn't as good as their Direct3D driver (at least on Linux), but that's changing, the last ATI driver for Linux offers a 100% performance increase :shock: , but it's not stable enough to be recommended for use if you don't know what you're doing.

Also depending on how you configured your OpenGL driver or TA3D, it is possible that your CPU isn't used at 100% - I managed to use less than 50% of my CPU in powersave mode !!

About Julien, the guy who might help us with advertisement, he had a registration problem on our forums, I don't know, if it's fixed now, but he's waiting that the new web site get working (it'll happen very soon).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Now the new website is working :) Get him here :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:43 pm

I've sent him a mail, now wait and see :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered