zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

TA3D 0.4.1 TEST 2

Post by zuzuf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:36 pm

It's there:
TA3D 0.4.1 TEST 2

What's new ?

Better mod support, and the surprise !!

TA3D now fully supports original game interface !!! So you can play ARM, CORE, TALON, ... and have the feeling of TA's original interface !!!

I'll make you believe it's TA :P !
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Hell, you right Zuzuf! Let`s kick some asses!!!

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:06 pm

You`ve missed some things.

When playing GoK mod - explosion animation drawn without transparency channel - it looks like blue quadric sprites with animation :) Should be easy to fix.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes I didn't see it, that's why we need testers :wink: .

Also I didn't look at the bugs you reported in a previous thread because I was already working on game interface and I wanted to have it working for that test release (I won't release something that doesn't work at all).

Also there are so many mods, it becomes harder to see and test everything since there are now far more units/mods/races that can run under TA3D, and it becomes harder to fix them all.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:19 pm

Not a problem - there are several real nice mods - others don`t evolve at all :)

Will you fix this bug before tomorrow?

Other bugs can be fixed later.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:31 pm

sorry, too late to upload it, I am at school now ... So this will be for next week, but keep reporting bugs, if I find the time to fix them I will.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:35 am

Of course I will :) I`ll test the older ones and update threads with buglist.
All major bugs not connected with animation engine will be posted here, all animation bugs - in separate Animation bugs thread.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Some bugs...

1. Sprites for TA Excess explosions animation are not drawn correctly. They`re not affected by transparency mask and looks like big blue quads with animation.

2. When using "T" tracking (following) mode and close enought to flying units - target unit beging to tremble. Also - if you tracking land unit too close - a small movment of mouse cause unpredictable scaling of zoom.
Looks like in tracking mode camera behave so because of land collision detection algorythms.

3. Radar thingie - I suppose you know what i mean. In TA every unit with radar capability or radar jammer capability when selected have area of radar range drawned in minimap. In TA3D only radar tower have visible range, other units doesn not. Should be fixed.

4. Many GoK, Talon, TAWP buildings are covered with terrain like Airplane Factory was before. Maybe you should add some-kind of max_height_of_verticles under building footprint for chosing building lower coordinate above the ground, so it will be no longer covered with terrain?

5. When playing TA: Excess - building polygons (when you chosing place to start the building) drawn invisible - you`ve got only green square footprint.
Last edited by Balthazar on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:56 pm

hmmm, it's strange that I don't experiment some of the bugs you listed above. Maybe it's gfx card or driver dependent, could you try an updated (or older) driver ? I will run some tests on an ATI card to see if it comes from there. Also the camera bug might be OS dependent since I don't have it on Linux. This might come from compiler options or things like that.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:26 pm

i`ll make some tests

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 pm

Hey everyone, long time not seen :)

I've been busy for a while (and still am) but I finally took the time to look how TA3D evolved and wow, just wow ! :)

I'm more than happy with what I see there, it's beautiful.
However as you can suppose, I noticed some things around. (using TA3D 0.4.1test2)

-when you build peewee, they go out of the factory one after another and sometimes they just pop-up out of the factory
-same as above when they're moving together and likely to bump in each other, one of them just 'teleport' a bit farter to avoid contact
-still no real luck with pathfinding (units happens to hesitate a lot before going the right path and sometimes got stuck on places where you can see nothing to really block them)
-metal extractors seems to take lots of time to start rotating after being build
-there should be a 'clonk' noise when selecting a building in the menu and when clicking on the map to order building (I checked on original TA), this gives better indication the click is understood by the game, sometimes you got the sensation it's not
-As I noticed during version 0.3.*, you can see that the game loads lots of models (in fact all of them) but depending on the map some are totally useless (for example naval units and trees on the map 'dark side'), could save lots of time and memory to not load those
-yellow square around selected units still can disappear in terrain (but now seems more consistent)

that's all for the moment :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:31 pm

yeah, glad to see you again :D .

Pathfinding is still not perfect ... but in fact it's not pathfinding itself but the way the path returned is user by units. The teleport effect is a temporary solution to units blocking.

Game interface, noises and such will evolve to get something that is more like TA (in fact it will be TA's interface). The cobber virtual machine is on its way, but it's hard to introduce/fix something without making something else buggy :(.

Saving memory and increasing the loading speed is not the priority at the moment, and it's even a good thing for now that it loads everything so we don't forget to test the code on every data the engine might have to run (sometimes it crashes on strange things :? )
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:38 am

I`ve got it. It`s because of sky texture and maybe some changes in fog type.

0.4.0. test 8
Maximum zoom

0.4.1. test 2
Maximum zoom

All looks nice, but anyway, I suggest to make zooming in more close to surface.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:07 pm

hmm yes, it changes how the eye see the map.

I'll try to fix the camera behaviour - you must have noticed it's not the same zoom factor on every map, that's because it depends on how large the map is, on large maps the camera will be higher. I will change the camera height code, and find a trajectory for the cam that always gives the same default zoom factor on all maps.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Yeah, it would be better if camera could zoom in very close to the unit and after that - change angle of view to "view from eyes".
But the main bug is how to find network developer :)

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:27 pm

yes, networking still needs work, and this is with AI the last missing part of TA3D.
=>;-D Penguin Powered