Drupal/Joomla

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
Neuralize

Drupal/Joomla

Post by Neuralize » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:16 pm

I really don't know anything about php, but I do know a fair amount about how HTML works and I am looking at PHP a little more. I could easily make some modifications to the site to make it a little snazzer using the current basic code.

That said I would like to interduce the idea of using Drupal or Joomla to power our webpage, both of them have pretty sweet interfaces.

Currently I've tinkered with Joomla a bit on their demo site and it allow for easy news posting and so forth, any of us could post news with a few clicks of a button and the same goes for putting up polls and news.

What's really cool is that it formats all news posts into forms that can be installed emailed, rssed, or pdfed.

www.joomla.org
www.drupal.org

both sites have demo sites where you can log in and expiriment with administrator settings. I attempted to put an installation of Joomla on our site in a test folder just to see if I could get it working, but I ran into a wall with the MYSQL thing, if you guys like the idea maybe you could give me a hand? :P

http://ta3d.sourceforge.net/Joomla/installation/

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:21 am

Personally I'd like to switch sites as well, I realize that sourceforge makes it extremly useful for us to share source and manage it ect, but for the regular website, i'd rather switch over to something else.

I have a web server that I could host the site, though it is by a windows server. It has M$ SQL, as well, and could make use of .net.

I have admin scripts written by myself that oculd also be used to setup source management, as well as news/fourms/user management/profiles/notificiations and anything else we could dream up. I've been contemplating approaching zuff about this for about a week now, and since recently i've been having seirous issues with this stupid editor, it seems more and more appropiate to do so.

++Cire.

Neuralize

Post by Neuralize » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:26 am

I'm fine with the webhost, I just want a quick and pretty site, I suppose I'll just tinker with the current one until I figure out Joomla..

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 am

Thing is with my asp scripts I can add everything we possibly could need into 1 neatly wraped package, not to mention a 'online service' that we could use to setup, test, and host TA3D online.

When I mean everything, I also have a nice source management system that would allow us to check out files, for a duration, or flag files for an immpending update, you name it, plus i can easly customize the scripts to our our needs.

Add to that a system that would let us manage changlogs, news, blogs, mailing lists, forums, all tied together and you have a pretty manageable system, all wrapped up nicely weith a neat little admin com.

Please don't take me wrong in presuring for a change to the new host just I feel that it would be much easier for us to manage things on a whole.

++Cire.

milipili

Post by milipili » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:54 am

I don't think a windows Server is really suitable. I worked with it on the past and the use of a MySQL/PostgreSQL and Apache/Lighty is more appropriated. And it let you the choice to use a Windows Server or Not.
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Lets not turn this thing into a bloody debait of linux server vs windows server for christ sakes. This is the real world, and most servers like it or not are powered by windows.

This isn't a which one is approprate or not, its a which one can offer us more with little effort, right now you have to write all your scripts, whereas I already have most of these written and would require little modifications for us to use. As I said this isn't a matter of which one can do it or not, as both will get the job done. But you are starting from scratch and have loads of work cut for you, I can elimate alot of that by reusing some of my scripts.

++Cire.

EvanR

Post by EvanR » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:41 am

Windows server on ASP is not suitable for an open source project.

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:24 am

EvanR wrote:Windows server on ASP is not suitable for an open source project.
erm and just 'why' is that? if a project is open source its not suitable for windows servers? Wtf is the logic behind that?

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:16 pm

Yeah, EvanR - you are wrong :) Wtf difference? :)
P.S. I`ll be out of the Internet coverage, so don`t be boring :D

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:52 pm

Joomla looks great. Now as far as the server is concerned, i don't see any reason why a windows server would be a bad thing even if I don't like windows. But now it's Neuralize who is in charge of the web site, so I propose we let him choose.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

EvanR

Post by EvanR » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:59 am

Yeah you all are right he should decide, I would just prefer to not have the website crash every so often :wink: .

Cire

Post by Cire » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:30 am

EvanR wrote:Yeah you all are right he should decide, I would just prefer to not have the website crash every so often :wink: .
Perhaps if you learned to use it you wouln't run into fucking issues. If i'am coming off strong good, cause thats what I mean it to be. It really pisses me off that people are still iving in the black ages and belittling things they know nothing about or have little to no experience with. Your telling me that M$ or for that matter nearly every major website out thier is having issues of crashing bullshit.

Don't be lower yourself like that, it just shows your ignorance to technology. Today like it or not most major corpoate websites are running windows servers in some way shape or form. And I hate to tell ya, but linux plays little rolls besides perhaps as acting as a router or dns server.

Now I have nothing against linux, I used it much in my youth and I enjoyed the learning experience, but today I make most of my hard earned money developing for, yup you guessed it windows. There are very few high level devlopers that 'earn' money working under linux, there is just so little call for it.

Fact of the matter is I have run windows servers since way back in nt days, they have had thier issues, but it all boils down to the operator. Thier is actual documented proff, when numbers are stacked up that linux is no more secure then windows, if a hacker wants in and they know thier stuff, they will get in regardless. If you seriously think linux is not hackable your kidding yourself.

Anyhow enuff with this slandering of operating systems, its uncalled for, and like it or not remember this, the majority of users that will be using this game will be 'windows' users.

++Cire.

EvanR

Post by EvanR » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:34 am

I never said a linux server wasn't 'hackable.' And you are right I don't know anything about windows server.

Neuralize

Post by Neuralize » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:02 am

A little too strong maybe Cire. :P It's not that hard to exhibit a little tolerance and understanding for our brothers who prefer to stay away from the corporate hand of Microsoft, while still pointing out that it's not all the evil that it's hyped up to be.

Let's get down to business though..

Currently I started this thread with the intention of merely changing the appearence of the website. I do not think the decision to change webhosts should be up to me, all I really want is just to figure out how to install Joomla at the moment on our current webhost.

My personal opinion is that a webhost change at this moment is not really necessary until we get a more functional release out the door. Also, I bring into question the reliability webhost and connectivity rather than the actual operating system, if our webhost goes down, does that mean that our game server and our website go down at the same kind. (Spring has this happen all the time, because both services are hosted on the same server.)

Realistically it seems like the changing of a webhost is more for streamlining development and less about the appearence of the website. As the current system doesn't seem broken, I don't really need to see why we should fix it. There is nothing wrong with these forums. (Except the color.) And just by getting Joomla installed we will have a fairly decent looking webpage. I don't know if we really need anything beyond that..

As for getting Joomla installed, I'm having a few problems..
http://ta3d.sourceforge.net/Joomla/installation/
If someone who knows a little about PHP could click through these and tell me a few things..

If you notice, it says it doesn't have write access to certain files, if you ssh into the server, you will notice that I've given 0777 permission to ALL Joomla files..

It also says it needs the MYSQL stuff, which I don't exactly have according to SF it says that..

Code: Select all

* Database Host: mysql4-LETTER (LETTER is the first letter in your project's UNIX name, the project gaim would use mysql4-g, for example)
    * Database Name: Database names are defined by the person who creates the database. A project's database name will be prefixed by the first letter in the project UNIX name, the project Group ID and an underscore (_). This prefix is provided on the project database admin page. For example, if the project gaim wanted to create a database with the name of 'cmsdata', the database would be named 'g235_cmsdata'.
    * Database Users: Each project is provided with three database users, each with a different permissions set. The database usernames are prefixed with the first letter in the project's UNIX name, followed by the project Group ID and end with the permissions identifier. Valid permissions identifiers are: ro, rw and admin. The ro user has SELECT privileges. The rw user has SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE and DELETE priviliges. The admin user has SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER, CREATE, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE, DROP, INDEX and LOCK TABLES priviliges. As an example, the project gaim has three users: g235ro, g235rw and g235admin.
    * Database User Password: specified by the project administrator on the database admin page, must be initially set here and can be changed at any time

A centralized installation of phpMyAdmin is available for projects to use. phpMyAdmin is a web-based MySQL administration tool and client. It can be accessed at https://phpmyadmin-LETTER.sourceforge.net/, where LETTTER is the first letter in the project UNIX name (i.e. the project 'gaim' would access https://phpmyadmin-g.sourceforge.net/). The username and password for the phpMyAdmin installation matches that of the database usernames and passwords.
I'm assuming that Zuzuf knows the database user password, which is what I need to access Joomla, correct?

Here is what the Joomla readme says..

Code: Select all

2. CREATE THE Joomla! DATABASE

Joomla! will currently only work with MySQL.  In the following examples,
	"db_user" is an example MySQL user which has the CREATE and GRANT
	privileges.  You will need to use the appropriate user name for your
	system.

First, you must create a new database for your Joomla! site e.g.

$ mysqladmin -u db_user -p create Joomla

MySQL will prompt for the 'db_user' database password and then create
	the initial database files.  Next you must login and set the access
	database rights e.g.

$ mysql -u db_user -p

Again, you will be asked for the 'db_user' database password.  At the
	MySQL prompt, enter following command:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON Joomla.*
		TO nobody@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

where:

'Joomla' is the name of your database
	'nobody@localhost' is the userid of your webserver MySQL account
	'password' is the password required to log in as the MySQL user

If successful, MySQL will reply with

Even if we don't end up using this webhost in the long run, I'd still liked to try and get this installed so I have some basic knowledge of how all of this works..

Cire

Post by Cire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 am

I've been runing windows servers for years, and granted thiere were some issues with earlier iis and what not, most of what occured to comprimise servers were on the fault of the adminstrator.

Now i'am not saying windows is without fault, hell far as i'am concered windows shoulda done alot of things differently but thats not to say that 'linux' is not without issues as well.

I'll site a small example, few years back when the iraq war first started up I can remember iraq's throwing up webservers to show images of tortured and dead people some american some not, but as fast as these went up they were hacked, and that shows a point, that it too is not invunerable to attacks, anyhow mooth point, me and even sorted out our differences and its water under the bridge.

Now as far as stable goes, if you ask around, when I ran GBL it was one of the most stable and trusted to be there sources around, hell for a time we hosted TAU, 99% of TA clans, and much more. I know my way around the net. We had a trusted track record, and I don't use cheap software either, being licenced MSDN developer I got some pull as well. The point i'am tring to make is if you think that 'denoting' my server will be less stable then current, then your kidding yourself.

As for the website thats upto you if you feel the need to stay with the now dead php based code then thats upto you, I just figured that others might be wanting to learn newer technology that is pretty much standards so muchso that its been ported to linux if memory serves me right. I also have a m$ sql server.

My whole goal here was figuring that as we now are starting to implement multi-player support, we might want a server that we have access to and can run executables on, build newer releases of server code and what not, and perhaps do some type of attachable client inside TA3D that would connect to our server allow hosting of games, chat, messages, ect.

Add to this our web, forums, and sql, ect and you can wrap this up nice and neat like all in one sorta thing, but as I said the choice is really upto you guys. Not to mention our client being able to autoupdate itself would be nice. With my server we have full rights to everything we do, install, run, with sourceforge we don't, that was another one of my reasonings behind it.

Anyhow whatever choice you select its cool.

++Cire.

Neuralize

Post by Neuralize » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Okay Cire, let's go with it. Start setting some stuff up.

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:58 am

Ok cool, continue you work here for now, give me a week or two at the most to put together various parts of the site and as I have them functional i'll post here.

Now that said there are a few ground rules,

#1 no WAREZ to be placed on my server at all, even if its just for 20 mins while your friend download it.

#2 anyone with remote TS/vnc access may not give permission to any of thier friends to use remote access

#3 any software to be installed on the server must be run by me first.

#4 I will not be held responsible for any lost data due to acts of god.

#5 No illegal activities permited such as dos attacks ect from my server.

#6 I will not be held responsible for the conduct of others (and myself for that matter, lol)

I think that about covers it, anyhow I will setup some ftp as well as remote access in the coming weeks for dev team, the website admin, which i'am assuming is you neuarlize will have full access to the website/sql but i see no reason for remote server access, The admin com is the first thing I will probably target, but I am going to have to have some various questions answered as time goes by, those decessions will have to be made by the team in general.

Anyhow I appreciate you giving this a chance, you won't be sorry, yes its gona be new, but in time you'll come to appreciate it, and it will look good on the resume as well. :)

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:40 am

I've begun, not much really, just a placeholder atm, but at least its something. I took some time and screwed around with one of my gfx editing programs and come up with a bit more flashy logo, we might wana keep it or not, i dunno, i'am just going to put together pages rather quickly and then you can take over. I'am gona write most stuff in classic asp to start, and it shouln't be much to migrate up to asp.net once you got the basic understanding of asp i'll help you migrate everything and do whatever you wish to do.

Anyhow Here is the url http://ta3d.gpserver1.com

++Cire.

Neuralize

Post by Neuralize » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:07 am

Cool. I'm on turkey break right now so I don't know how much graphic stuff I'll work on at the moment, maybe a little if I can find a mouse for my laptop, but that sounds good, and yeah don't bend yourself out of shape making flashy graphics, devote your time to other things while I work on that, simple placeholders will do. :p

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:13 am

I've started work on the website, currently i'am just laying frameworks and playing around with layout as well as color schemas, i've not decided on either yet, but the main 'entrance' i think is good, the part that lets you select english or french, it could be eaislly expanded for multiple layouts, as all it really does is set a session variable for the langague chosen then if possible it will pull content in that local otherwize it will default to 'english'.

I think when doing admisntrive actions such as posting news, sending out news letters and or any crap like that where it involves public notification I will allow the admin to be able to formate multiple posts so that it can be posted in english and french for example or others should we expand that much. If the admin in question does not know multiple languages then it will befall upon another to edit the language post and translate it.

In all translaters i've ever seen written ect, they fall short on a good translation for example from french to english ect...

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:11 am

Well that wasn't too hard, if you goto the url i posted it will allow you to select english or french, depending on what you select news will be shown to you as english or french.

Its importat to note that this is not translated. Instead if pulls french posts or english posts depending on what language the user has selected. This will allow us to let those who are familar with the language to translate and post equivlent news.

I realize that the size is pretty 'boring' right now but keep in mind its only about an hour old, i am still working on the database, layout and color schemas for various locations in on the site.

Untill i have finished registration code and what not, and to those who want to particpate in helping beta the site could pm me a username and password and i'll directly enter it into the database so you won't need to register once the site becomes fully active.

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:02 am

Little bit more progress, now navigation, login crap ect each are generated differently according to the users langague preference. My written french is very rusty so if i've missspelled or translated something incorrectly please correct me if i'am wrong.

I'am not gona work on site layout to come up with a theme, set color schema and some gfx to improve the looks. As you probably already can tell I have a news script in place as well as many tabels in the database that are now ready for use. Will update again soon.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:44 pm

that's pretty good!!!

there are a few mistakes in the french version:
Quel est TA? -> Qu'est-ce que TA?
Quel est TA3D? -> Qu'est-ce que TA3D?
Au sujet De Nous -> Qui sommes nous?
Statut De Projet -> Avancement du projet

really it looks good :shock: !!
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Thanks, all fixed.

For now I'am gona just fill in all the english stuff and will translate it all once I have the english content all in place.

If you think it looks good now you havn't seen nothing yet, i only got about 30 mins work on the site right now, wait till i have a good 8 to 12 hours work on it. :)

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:23 pm

Finally got a bit to work on the site today, I now have most of the 'english' content in place, with the exception of the 'Online source' management area most things are now starting to be functional.

I'am going to work on the source part tonight, and hopefully get it finished. Once thats done i'am going to spiffy it up by adding some images, and a bit better colors ect, finish the login system, forums ect and turn over the keys.

I hope to have everything in place and ready within another week, though as always time frames can't be sited as many factors can influence how much free time I will have to work on it.

++Cire.

Neuralize

Post by Neuralize » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Looks real nice. Great job.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah, very nice. But I suggest to make font color a little brighter, looks dark.