New texture quality option

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

New texture quality option

Post by zuzuf » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 pm

I added a texture quality option that sets the maximum level of details for unit textures (it doesn't affect map textures or menu backgrounds, only units). It ranges from 0 to 5:
  • 0 : 64x64
  • 1 : 128x128
  • 2 : 256x256
  • 3 : 512x512 (default)
  • 4 : 1024x1024
  • 5 : no limit
Textures of 3DO models are much smaller than the ones of the HD models from the free data set (which can sometimes be huge). With the default setting you should not notice missing details as long as you don't zoom in or run in a really high resolution.
Textures are processed using a gaussian filter to avoid artifacts and since this requires some processing power, it's done before data is put to the cache which is cleared when you change texture quality. It increases a bit the time required to build the cache but once it's built it doesn't change anything except textures are smaller and the game will require less video memory if texture quality is not set to 5. On my machine running with the free data set TA3D used 50MB less memory with texture quality set to 3 than with it set to 5 and you can get up to 20MB more if you set it to 0 (but you really notice missing details).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Re: New texture quality option

Post by Balthazar » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:57 am

That`s some really usefull option you have here )

D.Durand

Post by D.Durand » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:49 pm

As Balthazar, i say it's a pretty usefull option.

DOT

Post by DOT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I am a bit curios about the No-Limit textures

can this Options be automatically disabled if the Comp is too weak or the Mod Textures is just... Huge?

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:54 pm

No-Limit was the default behavior until now. If you want to limit texture details you must explicitly set the limit to something less than maximum (1024x1024 should be very correct but it still requires some memory). Estimating the best setting based on computer specs and mod data is very difficult because it may depend on the driver version, the OS, programs running in background such as system services, amount of available video memory which can be affected by your wallpaper size, the textures used by the mod may not have a predictable size in video memory due to compression, etc ... so it's far too complex to get a correct estimation.
=>;-D Penguin Powered