New release

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

New release

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:34 pm

I think TA3D is ready for a new release, I just added a megazoom :shock: !! (like in supreme commander :D ).

Next release should include a lot of code rewritten, support for multiplayer (even if it's not finished), and many other things like bug fixes
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Zuzuf - thanks man! Let`s check it out!!!
I love new releases :))) Looks like it`s time to make upgrade to documentation.. I`ll see what I can do :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:20 pm

That's done release 0.2.3 is uploaded :D
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:37 pm

I was wondering if I can't start getting some files contained within source code mainly so that when updates occur I don't have to do so much bloody work to get things back to where I am in converting it to be msvc 2005 compat.

Also can we all try and be on mirc when we are online so that if we got questions, concerns ect we can get them answered?

++Cire.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:13 pm

I only modified a few files, and now I have to go, I will be back next friday. Now we can work on rewriting parts of the code since I corrected most of bugs I added since 0.2.2.
Main goal for next release is : rewrite what's not good, make the code compatible with msvc, have support for multiplayer (even if it's buggy and not finished).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:37 pm

I`ll post news about new release on different forums :)

Cire

Post by Cire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:54 pm

Cool, while we are on the vendata to bring things into complaint and rewritting things, do you mind if we drop off the use of stdio.h stdlib.h, in favaor for the c++ versions such as cstdio and cstdlib, can also remove .h from string ect.. These are parts of the STL lib and will, likely more then not improve stablity, as well as platform specfic enhancements, and shouln't break anything as well as provide a set of classes that will do nothing but enhance and improve the project on a whole.

++Cire.

EvanR

Post by EvanR » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:06 pm

We can't completely remove the evil .h files because sockets, winsock, and pthreads are C api's. string.h is crucial for getting the bytes into the socket. stdio.h I can do without in the network code, I only used printf for testing, and the file transfer thread code could probably be more c++.

Cire

Post by Cire » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:30 pm

string is roughtly equavilant to string.h, only string is more 'c++' in style, as well stdio.h and stdlib.h are also roughly the same only geared towards c++.

Now I already realize that many other files will not completly conform to c++ standards, but that don't stop us from writting better code with c++ then using older c style convenations, lets face it the c way causes us to reivent alot of shit, where C++ allows us to rewrite alot of code that is reusable.

For example, why should networking have a special thread class, and other areas in the game also require thread classes, the end result is we got many classes where we only needed one, and inherit off those, kinda like superclassing things. The same thing can be applied to many different areas of the game, there is just no need in reduancy. Another example is suppose we needed a container to store variables, why write code speciic to that area when we know that other areas also need containers, so rather just write one class that does the job and again inherit that into your new class. With it done this way, it cuts down on everyones workload and once a class has been debugged, there is no need in worring about 'that' area breaking things.

I hope this makes since.

++Cire.