New website

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
Cire

New website

Post by Cire » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:44 pm

I have returned to working on the website, since I made an obgliation to do it awhile ago and competely forgot about it. I need to sync up with zuf to get some stuff translatatedi into french and work a few link issues out but I just about got the layout fully functional now.

The site for now is completely designed in asp classic, I have a few rules regulating the site. First TS access will be limited to zuff and myself. Second ftp access to primary root of TA3D dir will be limited to the webmaster, zuff and myself, all other users can have ftp access to thier own dir, and read access to public ftp dir.

The admin of the site is setup in 'groups' access, meaning that admins and posters of various levels and groups can be setup to do various things, pretty much whatever we dream up can be admined seperatly.

Most impotantly, most of my scripts being pure asp and a few asp.net are compeltely written by myself, I do not mind sharing these scripts with some other users, but I do NOT wish these to be shared globaly. In eseence what i'am syaing is that the source to TA3D maybe open source, but my scripts for the webiste are mine, not to be posted and or shared with every tom dick and harry.

We are using a m$ sql server, it contains alot of stored procedures and what not, these also are classed as above. Again I do not mind sharing with those who ask but I will not open source anything to the site.

Comments?

++Cire.
Females: impossible to live with, most powerful money reducing agent known to man, 99% of the time they drive us insane; yet somehow we desire to have as many as we can.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 am

It`s a good news. We are need new gloomy website. I can be second-webmaster and forum Admin if needed :)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Post by zuzuf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:14 pm

cool :D !!!

As far as scripts licensing is concerned, that's your work, so you do what you want with it, but in the interest of the project, I think people which participate to the web site ( I mean artists, ... ) should have read access to it in order to modify it if needed and then send you patches back, but once again it's your work so do what you want.

The other rules are ok, that's normal things for team work.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:13 pm

I am fine with sharing all scripts with all those who are involved within the project, i just want those who do have read access to know its a kinda protected area.

Anyhow I am making alot of progress with the site, and though you guys really can't see it most of the admin interface is now intact, a few bits here and there are still needed. As well as orginizing a few things.

I set it up to work something like this, upon entry to the site it will ask your language preference, this is stored in a session variable, at regirstration time it will set the user as a 'guest', the guest account pretty much allows the user to read just about anything unless otherwize marked as a private area or with some other membership level requiremment. Thus users will not instantly be able to 'post', after 48 hours the system will auto promte the user to 'user' level. They can now pretty much particiapte within the forums. Note that moderators can disable/enable users from posting in forums, as well as 'speedily' allow a user to post before the 48 hours is up.

Now the main differences is that laguage also will denote what content is shown, so news posts will need to be done in vairous different laguages, where forums are pretty much posted how the user types it. It does not do 'conversions', but simply pull data based on that laguage. The biggest deal here is with news, other pages will simply later be translated to whateve laguages we want and return thier data respectivily.

Pages are done via a template which calls a group of functions, within the asp page making them easy to create and manage.

Now I setup several different groups right now, first is site admin, which has the ability to modify content, post news, and moderate/admin forums. Second is Moderators, which have the ability to moderate forums, 3rd is developers which has full rights to modify source, moderate and admin, modify content of site, ect. 4th is news group, which allows the user to edit and post news, 5th is a straight user, which can post/read news is public areas, 6th is a guest level access which is read only to entire site in pulblic areas.

Now I also added a developers forum which is pretty much developer, admin, site admin and news group access for reading/writting, allow those who are involved with the project a special private place to discuess stuff 'privately' between ourselves. I realize that we want this as a 'open' place but sometimes we just need a place that allows us to commicate between ourselves.

I am also adding blog areas also for those involved within the project to have thier own corner per say to post what they want. There will be a few rules to this area, mainly one can say what they want without it jeperodizing thier furture within the project, of course this is not to break any international, or country specific laws, anyone who don't like what another user has to say simply shouln't read it.

More soon.

++Cire.
Females: impossible to live with, most powerful money reducing agent known to man, 99% of the time they drive us insane; yet somehow we desire to have as many as we can.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 am

Not bad. Cire, I have a few suggestion.
1. We should`n forbid new users to post messages, but we can make some restrictions for newcomers. Such as - inability to post links (URL`s) for the first 48 hours in their messages, and, maybe, pictures for the same time. Because all the bots and spammers have the main goal to post a link to some kind of site, this restrictions can be more than enough.
It`s not a good idea to wait 2 days before I can post a message that I can`t run TA3D or I need some kind of help.

2. Other languages than Inglish are the last thing to do. All who`d like to participate in project (coders, testers and so on) should know Inglish well enough to have no problems with it. Others can wait till TA3D becomes really playable, so I suggest don`t bother with diff lenguages yet. :D

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:33 pm

well, I think Balthazar is right, waiting too days before posting is too restrictive. Just prevent new users to post links and pictures (as well as having an external link for their avatar) since spammers will only try to post a link or a picture and most people who need help won't wait those 2 days (or may be a few minutes).

As far as other languages are concerned, I can deal with french and spanish even if we don't make something as good as english forums for now.

The user management system looks good with this we'll have a great web site 8) !
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 pm

The two day thing is something that can be set, for now I set it to full public access level, if I do get any add or spam bots however I'am going to invoke a remote script at my primary server which will counter spam them, since we have at work multi-oc3 connections this will really fuxor them up.

I've now just about got nearly everything in place and am finalizing things, registartion and what not is working, but most everything right now is working for english however lacking for french, I think what I'am going to do is simply post links to pages that needs translated.

Now we might need to wait a day or two for new options to be added to the site that I overlooked but the entire site, scripts and all are our own to freely modify and run as we see fit, which is a pretty big step, including forums, news, dbaccess, blogs, ect..

-------------------------------------------------------------
Which brings us back to another all important problem that has not been addressed yet and that is some type of decent repository, cvs just don't cut it, I can't count the number of code lines that I have lost simply because syncing code causes code overwrites and so on.

I mentioned before that I had several co-workers who were monitoring the project and like me can't find themselves stepping back in time to use ancient project manging soulations. One of them wants to handle the AI, the other is a professional gfx programer/designer, both of which could bring alot to the project, the gfx jerk as I call him (lol), is in zuff's corner in respects to OGL, but he does also have strong D3D knowledge.

Anyhow I think once we move to the new site and things are all functioning properly we need to set this as a top goal, we must find a decent soulation to this, we are truely missing out on professionals who would like to assist but won't step back in the dark ages so to speak.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:57 am

Well, Cire, does we have a choice? New soft, new features... Let`s use it ! Zuzuf, we all well know that you like CVS, but let`s move forward... One or two new co-developers are the thing that is really needed.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:17 pm

I didn't say i liked CVS, I just don't know other similar tools. So if we can have something better than CVS we can all use ( I mean not windows only or linux only ) then I will use it. Sorry about imposing CVS for now, but when I registrated TA3D on sourceforge.net I didn't even know CVS, I used it because it was a sourceforge.net service ( it's the first software of that kind of tools I am using )
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Well prior to 3 or 4 years ago there wasn't much of a choice, specifically remote managed soulations were very painful to develop and nearly impossible to keep synced without complex written scripts, and batch files that had to be manually run frequently.

That all went out the window, when developers started shifting emphasies to using a new born server called 'team server', which is a sever specifically designed for developers to help keep syncing thier source, the problem is however I don't know if any support exists for it under linux. The days of complex perl compile scripts and what not have seen thier end, as even newer tools are replacing them specifically project xna. Like .net this is sweeping the nation and i'am sure its only a matter of time before some port occurs to linux, but untill that occurs we must find something that allows both linux and windows development systems to co-inside and allow perfectly synced code to occur with file locking mechanics in cases where multiple developers may wish to access the same file at the same time then allow co-editing within the said source code files.

Truth is I havn't touched anything linux in a long, long, long time, ever since I realized that I wouln't stand to earn any money under it, it was a nice little toy, and I spent more time configuring and playing with various things then acutally doing any serious work under it, so for tools I don't know how much it has come in the last 10 years or more.

++Cire.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:39 pm

well, maybe I found one, look at this one:
http://subversion.tigris.org/

what do you think about it?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:49 am

Well thats certainly better, but by no means is this a 'team server' or such. Think of a TS Server as something like...

You fire up your development tool, and select the TA3D project, from that point it instantly knows that it is a 'remote managed' soulation, and connects to whatever TS server ip was assigned to it, from there it syncs your code with the most recent at the server, now as you edit and work with files these are automatically managed at the server for example I can see that 'zuff' is working on file blah.cpp, i can also open the same file and work on it, as i make changes/u make changes these are instantly reflected within each others documents, a developer can also choose to have full access to a file they are working on in which case no other user may work on it at the same time, as save buttons are pressed files are commited at the server layer and so on.

In essience its much like a gorup of workers all sharing the files and each file is autoupdated each time you make any changes within all those who are logged in, if not logged in as mnetioned before those files are synced when they do fire up the project.

Its much more then that but as you can see this prevents 100% code loss as I can work on fiels with you at the same time or prevent you from working on a file while i work on it and so on. Because we are not working with large binary files, bandwidth is not a issue, and thus even those on dialup may use it without serious lagging of files.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 am

Cire++, post a link to new website. Can`t find the old one.

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:26 pm

oh hmm ok its http://ta3d.gpserver1.com

use english for now since very little stuff has been translated to french.

To register click the login link and then the click here to register part, some pages I can't truely finsh yet till we have finished users. I recently added 'list' to the editor but i have some issues to work out with it yet.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:10 pm

Can`t create topics in forum using registered account

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Should be able to now, I had default membership set to level 0 (guest privs), when shoulda been set to 1.

I also set bal up with 'news posting' privs, as well as zuff, and set zuff with developer privs (which don't do much yet).

both of you should see some new stuff when at the news page, and zuff should have the ability to edit at the project status page.

be paitent as i'am currently still working on the page, have little free time right now and am in the middle of optomizing (reusing code rather then simply duplicating it)

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Still doesn`t work. After login can`t even check my profile and still can`t create threads and post messages. I see buttons like reply and Quote, but after pressing nothing happens.

Cire

Post by Cire » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Try again, I had it calling to a non-existant function, and didn't notice it till I reviewed the error logs.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Yeah, that`s much better.. Well, Zuff, where`s new GUI :) We are all waiting :) And the new release. Let`s get some fans :)

Cire

Post by Cire » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:49 pm

I have copied and duplicated the news from this site to the new site, thout exact times were not possible, I've tried to keep the posts as close to orginal as possible but did enhance a few here and there.

These are in english as I figured zuff could post them in french and i would adjust dates to be complain with other posts.

I also added developer blogs if you are registered and have been activated as part of the team then going to the developer blog area will ask you if you want to start your blog. I have not yet decided if I want to add the ability to let others respond to each blog entry or not.

My next major goal will be implicating the profile pages so that one can customize thier profile and also to enchance various things here and there.

++Cire.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:51 pm

cool nice work!!

I am finishing the first GUI skin (for reference). It took me some time to do because I discovered a few bugs, mainly with the Audio module which doesn't work well when changing the music ( I fixed a bug in the function that was returning the file to play from the playlist, but sometimes it still cannot play the file because it cannot create the stream but I don't know why).

As far as skin is concerned, the one I have done is a reference for modders, to see how it works (I am no artist)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:35 pm

Zuff I am currently working on the downloads page and I have some questions in respects to test releases, could you please hit up IRC when you get some time, i shoudl be there more of the day but maybe idle so give me some time to respond to you arrival.

++Cire.

Cire

Post by Cire » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 pm

Zuff since we fail to be able to link up on irc what I want to know is how many slots should a test release area be composed of. I'am assuming that one test or 'alpha' release will be ok.

Second I suggest we start taking a standard approach to offical releases, and that is 1 version containing the source, and another containing just the files needed to play ta3d (no source included).

As we bump each version we will simply drop the last source version, but retain the binaries.

i'am going to modify the downloads page to allow devs to upload a file directly from the web page, allowing them to fill out some data on each file and thus the downloads page should reflect changes automatically and thus maintain itself rather then us neededing to edit it each time.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:17 pm

Cire, Zuff is out of forum at least for 4 days already. So I`ll try to answer for him.
There are can be several test releases between full versions. For example:
v.0.3. (full)
v.0.3.1. Test 1
v.0.3.1. Test 2
v.0.3.1. Test 3
and so on
v.0.3.1. (full)

What about Download section - I think 2 slots for test releases should be enought. (to post previous test release and the latest one).
v.0.3.1. Test 2
v.0.3.1. Test 3

About src in test release (and maybe full release)- yep, there is no need in it. Maybe we should provide source in different file?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Balthazar, your idea seems clear, I vote for it, but just one small thing:
1 binary only version ok, 1 source version ok ( for official stable releases )

but I think we should do only one package for test releases with both binaries and source ( because we have linux testers who will need the source ) and windows testers might as well try to fix bugs or look at the source code.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:51 pm

I doubt that testers will check the source code for bugs...

About source - we can release version for windows - without src, and for linux - src only.

But anyway, both suggestions are good enought.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:35 pm

in fact they do, but most of them are french testers ( so maybe you didn't understand their post ) and they fixed some issues they got building TA3D
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Ok I've been pretty much swamped last week but things are finally starting to return to normal, yesterday I managed to get some time to work on the downloads section and the way I set it up is rather very easy for a developer to see all files that are uploaded into the downloads folder. They can delete a file as well, and edit each part of the downloads as the need arrises.

I am not quite done the upload system yet, rather the give out tons of ftp accounts i'am using a http/stream class that will allow 'most' browsers that supports 'file' for input types to upload a file directly to the server. From there it is stored under the downloads area. Now I currently have it set to only allow those with 'developer' access to use the upload area, but I can easily expand that when the need arrises.

I have a few other things I'd like to finish and I also need to fix the source part to link to source forge cvs area.

++Cire.

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:46 am

A week of silence...

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:16 pm

cool, my DSL connection works again, when you're done with the upload system I will upload a test release in order to test the threading code and the tick based time model.

I am having troubles uploading to CVS on sourceforge.net, so I think we should drop it and use something that really works. I am going to look for a tool we could all use, but maybe you now some of these ( even if it only works on windows, please give me their names so I will have more keywords :-) ).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Cire

Post by Cire » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:23 pm

You have M$ VS 2005 express, by any chance do you have the full version or can get your hands on the full version? If so we can use one of my team server installs. In fact I think express may also support it as well, look around in your projects for a 'remote managed project', let me know if you have that option.

++Cire.

Corsaire

Post by Corsaire » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 pm

This maybe a bit out of context, but since the thread title is about website ;)

If you're doing websites have a look at this website to get some color graphic charts, very nice.

http://kuler.adobe.com/