The resource installer

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

The resource installer

Post by zuzuf » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:06 pm

Current resource installer is broken in 0.6, it used text rendering stuffs from Allegro, but here (from within TA3D's code) we only have font support with OpenGL set up and running. So what about a separate installer written with some more appropriate tools ?
I am thinking we could write it in Qt and add a few command line options to TA3D in order to get files extracted from HPI archives. Any suggestion ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Re: The resource installer

Post by milipili » Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 am

What is the real aim of this installer ? I mean, resources are not provided by the TA3D installer ?
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 am

Surly not,lol.
I think the resource will included when HD texture and weapon finshed.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri May 01, 2009 10:55 am

xpoy is right. We cannot include OTA resources in the installer itself, so for now we need a program to install these resources from TA CDs (and this could be useful too to get the campaign files once we have our own set of units/textures/...).
This installer is only a small program that'll help people install OTA resources for TA3D.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Post by milipili » Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Oki :) So a QT / Lazarus / whatever will be fine. Just avoid wxWidgets, a daily nightmare :)
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Fri May 01, 2009 4:57 pm

Checked this
This not a installer,it was a player's pack :P
http://cid-dd761cec1c1d3498.skydrive.li ... d06OTA.rar

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Fri May 01, 2009 5:12 pm

Of course a package which contains all the required resources do not need the resource installer, but for legal issues we cannot create packages with OTA content.

PS: what would be great is to have that kind of package with our own stuffs to replace OTA resources, package would be completely free :)
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Fri May 01, 2009 5:17 pm

:wink:
yes,i agree you.
It just a player packed ta3d0.6beta3 that include The purchase of a OTA

Balthazar

Post by Balthazar » Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 am

Since this was mentioned before - we can ship with TA3D resources, packed in TA Demo, since it`s kinda free :P

nemo

Post by nemo » Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 am

zuzuf wrote:Current resource installer is broken in 0.6, it used text rendering stuffs from Allegro, but here (from within TA3D's code) we only have font support with OpenGL set up and running. So what about a separate installer written with some more appropriate tools ?
I am thinking we could write it in Qt and add a few command line options to TA3D in order to get files extracted from HPI archives. Any suggestion ?
I suppose most people won't run the resource installer more than once, so would it be easier to have a command-line only tool, like the tools for ScummVM for example?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed May 06, 2009 5:31 pm

a small script should do it then.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

slogic

Post by slogic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't understand why we can't leave ta3d /install function. I personally don't like many .exe files in game directory. Also it is true that end user will use it only once in general. So why do we need to make a separate application for this?

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 pm

We don't need a separate application, just a script. Adding the installer in the TA3D binary makes it bigger for nothing because it requires a GUI, a portable installer (paths are not portable here) and it was a nightmare to maintain because code could be easily broken when modifying something else. Using scripts it's different since we only use OS functions which won't change with TA3D's revision, it's also much smaller in size and you don't need to add a GUI (but it can still be done although it's not really useful). At the end you only get one binary and one installer script for each platform.

In case you have any problem with the installer, you can just edit the script without having to rebuild TA3D's binary (which is not that easy on all platforms).
=>;-D Penguin Powered